Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, July 22, 2010

A glance in the right way!



I don't think I would have ever taken this on alone, but along with a group of ready and willing women, I have been studying the book of James. It is full of convicting information to say the least, with no fluff! I just knew the first few weeks that I was going to end up needed a counselor on a full-time basis. At first I felt like an onion that was being peeled back and exposed layer by layer. You see, much of James talks about our "talk." He focuses a great deal on what comes out of our mouths!!! The real source of our "talk" is deep within our hearts. That little ticker that pumps our blood also seems to be the keeper of out deepest feelings and what travels to the brain to form our thoughts. Thoughts often come out in the form of our "talk" or our actions. This chain reaction is all a lot to think about!!!

Speaking of onions and layers, I left Banner last week chopping an onion to go in our taco meat and Brazos chopping one for his hot sauce. When I came back into the kitchen to check on their progress, I saw that they had added accessories. You might be thinking aprons, but guess again. They had on sunglasses. We keep a pile sunglasses in a junk drawer in the kitchen. You can find a pair of old scratched up Dora ones, several XTO safety glasses, and some of my old ones from random dollar stores and Target specials.

When I stopped smiling and laughing out loud at the cute culinary team in my kitchen, I asked them why on earth they had on glasses. They both let me know quickly how painful it was to peel and cut up onions. They had seen me stand at the island in the kitchen crying, but they never had experienced the burn themselves... until now... They thought the glasses might shield them from the pain of the onion. Oh, my children! I thought to myself...yeah, that was me back in June when I began peeling back some of the layers of my heart in the James study. Painful, but necessary to get to where I need to be!

I discovered an amazing, yet simple truth in James this week. James 4:8 says "Come near to God and he will come near to you." This is not a game of hide and seek like I often witness during the heat of the summer in my home when the fun moves inside. The kids love to hide in my closet and it is so full of junk that I worry I may loose them for good. This verse is different than that game because the Lord is not hiding and this life is not a game. If we come near to God, he will come near to us. It is as simple as that! The Lord does not hide. He came to seek and save.

It dawned on me today that the Lord is ready and waiting for us to make the slightest motion in His direction. We don't even have to make a leap, take a big step, or move really at all. We only have to look up in our present situation, whatever it may be, and acknowledge Jesus Christ. It only takes a glance His way for life to begin changing. He has been waiting all along for us to need Him and give up the fight by admitting we do need help. The minute we glance in His direction and say we need Him, He is by our side, ready to help us with anything and everything we need!

How amazing and sweet it is to me that we don't have to do anything more than look His way. In this world, I often feel like everything we do there is a prerequisite or an expectation. The Lord simply asks us to come near! I needed that truth this week. I sometimes find myself living a life based on feelings... feeling this and that, up and down, here and there. My feelings all were settled when I got this new truth! He is near and all it takes is a glance in the direction of the Lord to get back on track.

3 comments:

  1. We have been studying the book of James all summer at our church, so I know how you feel. Our preacher also mentioned (concerning verse 8) that actually God doesn't even have to come to us, because he's already there, anxiously waiting for us to come to Him. How encouraging is it to know that even when we pull away from God, he's still there, loving us and waiting for us to come back! He never leaves us, even when we selfishly leave Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said Kelly!!! so true, always present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my prayer the other day. I feel like over the past few months I have left a door open for the devil to walk in and he has not only walked through that door but he keeps opening other doors that should have locks and bolts on them. I know this is because my PERSONAL relationship w/my friend Jesus is lacking. I confessed to Him that I was sorry from turning away from Him but that I so desperately needed to see His face again and there HE was STILL right there. I am so glad to know that He will never leave me even when I walk away from Him, he willingly accepts me again.

    ReplyDelete