Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, November 3, 2011

short, but sweet!

SO...I have a new bike. It is really a gently used bike that my mother in law found at a garage sale in Dallas. This is NOT the fancy kind of bike that you see bikers on with their spandex suits and helmets. It a blue, big-wheeled bike that needs a basket on the front and seems to be looking for a spot for a picnic. It is that kind of bike and perfect for me!

Brazos needed to take the trash last night to the dumpster and I rode with him. Who am I kidding? I rode behind him and even had to stop a few times because my legs were on fire! The way back was a whole lot more fun because it was downhill! I got going pretty fast as I rounded the final curve by our house and nearly wanted to kick my legs out and coast...it was so much fun! Right about the time that I hit the curve, I hit some sand....and started to skid! I nearly lost it. I was so close to a total wreck! Brazos did not see me. Thank goodness he was up ahead of me. He would still be cracking up.

When I caught my breath finally and regained my balance, I stated laughing. It was so funny and I was so happy that I did not fall! I giggled like a kid. It was a CLOSE CALL and I kept my balance and did not fall. What a great feeling!

It occurred to me that I have the same feeling when I am close to a WRECK with a comment or word and I hold it in! I can save myself from so much when I just hold onto my words and control my mouth. It also makes me smile when I pause and think...and then decide to keep my mouth shut...just like it made me smile when I regained my balance and did not fall off of my wonderful, new bike.

There can be balance in life and we can control our words, even our thoughts and feelings. We do not have to live daily as if life is one wreck after another. There is so much energy spent in the cleaning up from our own wrecks. Life, or my bike rides I guess, will not always be smooth and easy, but there is a way and there is hope.

It is simple..."Jesus, help me today to control my mouth. Let the words of my mouth be pleasing to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment