Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, November 3, 2014

Key word: CANCER

We have a few key words and phrases around here that get everyone’s attention: Bastrop, backstrap for dinner, hunting in Iradell, Madea, smores, GIVE me that electronic, and cancer. The first few are things that we love, like vacation spots, deer leases, movies and our favorite foods. The last two are not as fun. When I am having trouble with a Monico kid and need their attention to be fully focused on the issues at hand, I snatch whatever electronic could be a distraction for as long as need be. Cancer is a key word that here that will always stop us in our tracks. It came up last week. I had a tiny spot on the side of my face frozen off at the dermatologist. The kids did not even know that I made a quick trip to Corsicana and questioned me big time when they saw the blister on the side of my face. I told them it was no big deal; however, it took a few minutes to explain to them all that precancerous skin spots are not a big deal for a former sun worshipper in her forties and that it just had to be frozen off. They hung on the word cancer. One of my little lovelies in particular said…”Mom, you did not even tell us you were going to the doctor, do you have cancer?” It is uncomfortable for me to write about cancer because I made it through it and so many in our community have not. I don’t get it, but I do know that there are some truths that I know came from my battle with Lymphoma back in 2007 that I will take with me forever. The first is that our greatest trials in life are when we will closer to the LORD than ever and know Him in an amazing way. Jesus was so real to me during my trial. I learned to lean on Him and depend on Him in a way that was even more real than my earthly relationships. It is sad that it took a disease to get me to that point of total dependence. Human nature is just such! The other truth is that I took with me is that friends, family, and community are truly amazing. I went an entire summer and never cooked a meal or even went to the grocery store for more than milk and bread. People took care of us. My family was blessed on the receiving end, and givers were blessed too. It worked both ways. When someone offers to do something for you, let them be a blessing to you because it will bless them. The other thing I learned is that without Jesus as my Savior and without knowing His Word, I do not know how I would have made it. When I laid there in the CT scan tube or felt the burn of the chemo in my arm for months and months, I had a verse to say. I had a true word to hold me tight. I would pray every scripture I had ever learned and recite them over and over in my head. I literally do not know what I would have done if I had battled cancer alone, so I beg you to get to know Jesus and study His Word because your trial may never be cancer, but you will have many trials in life. Proverbs 30:5 says “Every word of God is tried and purified; He is a shield to those who trust and take refuge in Him.” Jesus was my refuge when I had cancer and still is every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment