Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, January 12, 2015

Pick Me

I vividly remember when I was in third grade and saw George Strait at the Palestine Convention Center.  I think I have written about it before.  I made my way up the front by the stage and wanted for him to pick me and shake my hand.  I am sure I was in Jordache jeans and French braids.  I cannot remember if ropers were out yet or not. 
Oh George, All I could think was PICK me!  He did pick me and he shook my hand.  I hung it out of the tub and refused to wash it for a week I know.  How could I wash it?  I was one of the ones he picked for a handshake.  It was a huge moment in my life, or I sure thought it was.
I did not always get picked as a kid though.  Often on the playground when we lined up for basketball, kickball, or for talent shows, I was one of the last ones picked.  I was okay at everything, but not a star in anything.  Know what I mean?  For basketball, I would stand up tall and think…pick me!  If it was dancing day in the talent show, I would get ready for a plié and try to look graceful with a smile.  I was silent as the team captains made their first picks, but in my heart, I was screaming out…pick me!  When I did get chosen, I played it cool, but inside there was a real wave of relief that came over me.  I was happy, happy, happy to be picked, to be chosen. I did often get picked as a kid and nearly even made basketball All Stars one year.  It was a close one.  I ended up as a non-traveling, non-uniform wearing alternate. 
If we are honest, this desire to be one picked or the chosen one does not really end with childhood,
does it?  The “Pick Me” syndrome continues on past the days of cheerleading tryouts, prom dates, class favorite votes,  and UIL competitions.  It just turns into employee of the month, the one who gets the biggest pat on the back, the one who gets the promotion, and the one who gets asked to help plan the event.  Although maturity often brings security, even in our grown up clothes and grown up cars, we still silently sometimes sit in a crowd and think…pick me! 
I began reading the Christmas story in Luke 2 last week and discovered a truth that relates to everyone, I mean every single person living on this earth!  I personally am not going to let this truth slip away just because I put the tree up and move on past studying the birth of Jesus in my quiet time. I am taking the truth with me into 2015. 
In Luke 2:11, the Angel of the Lord appeared to the shepherds and said “Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.”  Reread it and focus on the ALL PEOPLE part of it! 
You see, we do not have to desire to be the one picked on the playground or in the conference room,
we have already been picked!  We are already chosen.  I am the reason Jesus was born and died on the cross.  You are the reason Jesus was  born and died on the cross! 
There is no reason to raise your hand and think…pick me in the life anymore.  Dear one, you have
already been picked!  You are loved, chosen, accepted, and redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment