Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Saturday, January 4, 2014

Eagles: I wonder... from Fairfield Recorder

Anytime I receive a compliment for the normal, run-of-the-mill stuff I write in this column, I usually humbly say thanks and then offer two explanations for why I am doing this. The first reason I write is because if I can make one person each week feel normal and to know that the Lord is involved in everyday life, then my purpose has been served. The second thing that I say is that this column helps me clear my head because thoughts come constantly to me and I have to get them out or I would go crazy! In saying that, I better clear my head about the Eagles or I may go crazy. Here are a few final thoughts for the boys and coaches. I wonder if you know that there are many families, mine included, that will probably never go to a Dallas Cowboys game, but thanks to you all, we visited Jerry’s World. I wonder if you will ever know that today, the day after game day, that there are grown men with hoarse voices from screaming. Many of the men who were in the stands previously wore and Eagle uniform with pride. I was sitting with an old Cougar from Bryan Adams High School in Dallas and although he was never an Eagle, he has supported you along with many “move-ins” for years now. Because of you, many men traveled back to the good old days of high school football in their minds and hearts and you took them further than they had ever been on their own. I wonder if you will ever know that you carried a band that shined, marched, and played their hearts out and a group of awesome cheerleaders who jumped, cheered, and chanted like they never have before. I wonder if you know that the student body who traveled north with them will never be the same. I saw hands clasped and tears shared in the last minute of the game that bonded a student body of Jr. High and High School kids like super glue. I wonder if you will ever know that a new category of laundry has been created. Moms have forever sorted lights and darks. We added one this year because of you. The past few months, we have had lights, darks, and maroons. My living room every Saturday morning has looked like an explosion of maroon and gold. On that note, if we ever add a third color to our traditional maroon and gold, in honor of the 2013 Eagle team, it needs to be camo. We were asked in Waco when we stopped for a snack where we were going hunting. We smiled with pride and said that we were not hunting, but going to watch the Eagles play ball in the cold. I wonder if you know that kids in our town want to be just like you. For many years to come on school playgrounds and in backyards when a football is thrown, a tackle is made, or a touchdown is scored, there are little boys who will for the moment NOT answer to their own name, but they will answer to a name from the 2013 Eagle football roster. I wonder if you will ever know that every time we see Romans 8:39 or the phrase “Keep it Simple” that we will remember the year that you as a coaching staff and a team reminded us to “Keep it Simple” each week. Will you ever know that because of your openness about your faith in Jesus Christ, we as a community, prayed on the courthouse lawn as a group of believers. Every church in town was represented at the pep rally and for once, we were one. I wonder if you will ever know win or lose, state champs or not, that we are proud of you. The Eagles wearing the red, black, and white may have won the game, but the Eagles and the coaches in maroon and gold won our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment