Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"SIGN" column

We had an incident a few nights ago that temporarily forced one of our bathrooms to be closed. I was notified of the necessary closing when my son caught me in another bathroom of the house and beckoned me to help him find he tape. He needed tape because he had designed a sign to hang on the bathroom door that read “Caution: toilet overflowing. Do not use toilet.” We have a great deal of cause and effect in our house at night. One thing leads to another and so on. Luckily, the maintenance crew, I was evidently the only member on call, was available and the repair job was completed relatively quickly and easily. The sign served its purpose and was taken down. The sign at the Elementary school says just what my heart has been thinking. Its pretty lights spell out “Give thanks. Go Eagles.” Thankfulness, faith, family, friends, and a community supporting its kiddos is kind of like my own personal mission statement. There are several other signs around town right now too that in my own humble opinion are doing their jobs well. Ward Prairie Baptist church says “Giving thanks for Jesus.” Round Prairie reads “The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.” Wouldn’t it be nice if we could each have a personal “Sign of the Day” to clearly inform us about what we should expect for the next 24 hours? The morning bulletin might read “Easy day… just rest and enjoy the ride” or “Warning to the adult in this house: A child today will test the boundaries. Get ready!” We have all experienced loss in life when we are sure the word of the moment on those days might have been “Grab the tissue box when you walk out the door. You will need them.” The good news here is that a few minutes with the Lord in the morning is the best chance we have of a daily forecast and it is much more reliable than the weather man will ever be. Even when we do not know what to expect and it is not clearly spelled out for us in black and white letters or blinking lights, we are more prepared for whatever may come our way when we have had time in the Word and in prayer. So…What do we do when we do get a “sign” or a “check” in our spirit? We have to obey the warning and flee from the dangerous situation if need be, stay if the Lord tells us to stay , say whatever it may be that needs to be said, or absolutely say nothing at all. We must be obedient no matter our mood or current attitude. We also have to refuse to justify our actions or make up excuses that we just are the way we are. A famous comedian, Bill Enval, has made millions and made us all laugh from the simple saying “Here’s your sign.” We are not looking for a sign or a nod from man, but from Jesus Christ. Today mine seems to be “Be still and know that I am God” from Psalm 46:10. What about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment