Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, March 16, 2014

2014

I said HELLO to 2014 here at my house with my family and enjoyed a rather uneventful evening. We played some basketball, had dinner, and picked up the house. I settled into my spot on the couch by the fire with a cup of coffee and decided to bring in the New Year watching t.v. I was excited about the prospect of being entertained while putting out zero effort. New Year’s Eve television was a combination of music and what seemed to be a recap of the biggest, best, and worst events in Hollywood. I kept on thinking as I watched that I must have been totally out of the loop because I was clueless about most of what they talked about. I do not know what happened with Lady Gaga, understand what has happened to Miley, or who wore what to which event with who; however, I know what has happened right here. I started compiling a list in my mind of the things I DO KNOW. (It was a lot more fun.) I do know that I have a son who wore a size 12 slim jeans for years and all of a sudden jumped up to a men’s size in less than a month. Writing is fun to me. My daughter smile is the biggest when she is playing softball. Being a Fairfield Eagle is great. My fireplace is my best friend and my electric blanket is in second place. My church is a wonderful place to be on Sundays. My husband wanted a big recliner and I fought him, but now it is my favorite chair. I feel better the less sugar that I consume. My son says the most specific, heartfelt prayers that I have ever heard. Outside is my favorite place. Manners are still in style. The LORD is faithful because all four of my children will one day join me in heaven. Watching birds is a good and cheap hobby. A trampoline is the best investment we have ever made. The cutest thing in the world has to be my daughter’s missing front tooth. Facebook is okay when used for the right reasons. Forty is really young. I am thankful for XTO and the opportunities it provides for so many families here in our area. Talking less and listening more is a must. I have to look away when my boys play tackle football in the backyard because I don’t like it one bit, but my husband swears it is good for them. I have a daughter who is a wonderful cook and another one who loves shoes. One of my sons is a talented builder and loves old scrap wood, the other one loves expensive, new socks and shoes. I am not giving up on my teen’s cell phone time and will continue to limit it. Being a teacher is the best. The more money you make, the more you spend. As the world goes faster, being still is a must. The internet and technology pleads to shows us more and more, but we should narrow our focus and zoom in on what is right in front of us as much as we can. I am the happiest when I put others before me and I believe what Jesus said to his disciples in Luke 9:23. He said “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” Denying self, taking up your cross daily, no matter how good or bad it might be, and following Jesus worked for 2013 and it sure will for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment