Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, March 16, 2014

the GATE

I am going to let the cat out of the bag tonight when I write this column. I can be a bit of a blonde (even though my blonde now is more because of a great hair stylist than anything natural.) I am also often more of a creative thinker than a logical one. My family had the biggest laugh of the weekend at my expense yesterday because I could not figure something out. We carried the trash up the road to our dumpster, and I had gate duty. The dumpster gates are big, silver, and they move back and forth with grace on the hinges like they had a lifetime supply of WD40 spayed on them. I had a time getting them both to meet in the middle so I could hook the chain. I fetched one panel and had it in the middle where it needed to be and then had to get the other one. I let go of the first one and hoped it would stay in place; however, it did not. It swung back when I tried to get the other one. Can you say: Out of control? I decided to give the second one a hard shove towards the middle so I could retrieve the first one and it went so far that I had to start all over again. This went on for a few minutes. I wanted to scream “I can’t do this!” My family just sat in the truck and laughed at me. As it went on, I started laughing too. I think I even snorted at my own expense, but I eventually got the gate latched. The gate fiasco reminded me of life. Sometimes we work hard and give it our best, but we realize that much of life is just honestly out of our control. We even may feel like some days when we are worn out that we just can’t do it anymore and hold it all together. In my own little corner, just about the time I feel like I get one of my children going in the right direction, another one may test me and I think…OH, I can’t do this. When my finances are good and there is money left over for the week, the dishwasher may break and I think…Really, I can’t do this. When I look around me and see so many people in need and living in horrible situations, I sometimes think it is just overwhelming and that leads to…I can’t do this. Even at church occasionally in situations doing what I think is the work of the Lord, I think… I can’t do this! My mind has been in a fog the past few days and my usual perky personality has been more clouded with an “I can’t do this” attitude, but today I was reminded of a truth. Luke Rachel shared a verse at the community wide Eagle Service from Joshua 1:9 that says “Have I not commanded you: Be strong and courageous? Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” If you are reading this and have any situation in life, big or small, that makes you think you just can’t do it anymore, then take heart and know that the Lord commanded Joshua and He commands you too to be strong and courageous. Do not give up! Do not give in! We can’t do anything on our own, but the LORD is with us wherever we go. Now, that’s a promise you can hold on to.

No comments:

Post a Comment