Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, March 16, 2014

Peace...from Christmas

My son’s prayer last night summed up a dynamic in our home. He said “Lord, please help Banner not to pick on Brazos, Brazos not to pick on me, and me not to pick on Blaise.” He paused to think for a second and then said “It’s kind of funny, Lord, because Blaise has no one to pick on.” After some reflection time, I must admit I really do wonder if I live in a home or in a chicken coop full of hens and roosters trying hard to establish their position in the pecking order. Maybe you presently reside in a continuously happy home with happy people, but perhaps you get my drift with people at work or with your circle of friends about the “pecking order” thing. The topic of peace came to mind again before daylight today when I let my Jack Russell and Lab out to go take care of their business. Our lab was back at the door before you could say “Christmas cookie” in dog language because she wanted no part of the cold weather. Bubs, on the other hand, discovered an adventure that was obviously to him well worth the blistering cold air. He found a cat near my car and managed to run it up in the bottom the vehicle. I could hear him, but not see him until I found my furry house shoes, flashlight, and headed out into the elements myself to see what the ruckus was all about. I spotted Bubs hopping up and down like the Easter Bunny under my car trying to get the cat out so the brawl could continue. I crawled under the car and grabbed him by his tail. With a few new scratches, he walked right to his food bowl to eat as if nothing had ever happened. I thought back to my word, PEACE, and wondered how on earth he could have any left after the fight he had been in. Is it easy to get along with others and have peace? No, but we have to keep on trying because getting along with others pleases God. Luke 2:14 reminds us of that. It says “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.” Our chances are greater for peace on earth if the Lord is pleased with us. Peace on earth is the whole reason we celebrate Christmas, because only with the birth of Jesus did peace come to this fallen, messed up world anyway. I love the title of a song that came out in 1955 by Sy Miller and Jill Jackson called “Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.” It is fitting since I cannot control the world or even the people or animals in my little corner of the universe, but I can control myself. So, this week I aim to please the Lord because with that comes peace. I aim to walk in obedience to God because that promises to bring me peace. I aim to get along with others and die to self because peace comes to those on whom the favor of the Lord rests. Because I will have peace and be at peace with God, I will have peace to offer and give others. If you feel like something in your life is missing and there is no peace, something probably is missing. Don’t let Christmas pass another year without discovering what peace really is. It all started in a manger in Bethlehem and PEACE still lives on today in the heart of every believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment