Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, December 8, 2014

Trucking


I had an interesting ride on the way home from Dallas last week.  I looked normal, wore the same sunglasses, listened to the same station, and kept the same speed as usual using my cruise to help me manage my heavy foot. However, my mind was not normal because it was totally going “somewhere.”

Where was my mind?  It was on 18 wheelers.  My brother in law is in the process of buying one, so I had to check out what was on the market for him.  I am sure his research was complete some time ago on what make and model to buy, but I was on a mission to find the best looking rig on the road.  My Dad trained me early about big trucks and I used to watch for them all the time.  I must admit it had been a while. My conclusion was that there are some nice rigs, Smokey and the Bandit will live on forever, and maybe life with CB radios was better than life with cell phones. 

On that trip, I looked intently for something and I found it.  That can happen with a whole lot more than big trucks on I-45 too.   Last week when I was cleaning up the house for the week, I looked for my blessings, for the things I was thankful for instead of the obvious mess!  I was grateful for the shoes my son lined up on his floor in the middle of his room.  I was grateful for the wadded up math problem that should have been appropriately placed in the trashcan.  I smiled when I sucked up a fake nail or two, or three in the vacuum.  I was even thankful for the dustpans of dirt and bottle of 409 I had to squirt in large quantities on my kitchen counters.  Why the sudden burst of enthusiasm for cleaning?  It came because before I began I decided to look for the joy and blessings in the mess!  I looked, I found, and I gave thanks!

This week many in Fairfield are also looking to take care of some “Unfinished Business” on the football field.  The band wants to march longer, cheerleaders cheer, and coaches coach!  I can still do a few cheers and do so often just to impress my kids, but I am not skilled in football by any means. I will not offer any insight into plays or positions. I will say that if though that if you are looking for a victory, your chances of finding it are way better than if you are not looking for one at all.  Look high, dig deep, be intentional on and off of the field, and give thanks along the way! 

I don’t know what you need to find this week.  If it is a better attitude or a win, then look for the opportunity to have one.  If you are looking for more family time, you will probably find it.  If you are looking for better food choices, your chances of finding it are way better than if you are looking for the next Snickers.  If you are looking for an “A” or a project to get completed, you will most likely end up with that accomplished if you are looking.  Remember to give thanks along the way. 

If you are looking for a closer relationship with the LORD, you will find it because you will look for Him in all of the little things throughout your day.  Never stop talking to Him and looking for Him.  Keep communication open at all times!  Jesus is with you at the meeting, in the car, and when you lay your head down at night.   Start and end your day with this from 1 Chronicles 16:34 “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.”  It is a guarantee:  Look for the LORD and you will find Him. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment