Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, January 6, 2011

A little Splinter

I declared the last full day before Christmas vacation ended as an official "Spend the day outside" day for the Monicos. The inside of our house was too full of post-holiday dirt and clutter for us to enjoy ourselves. I began the day by moving a sheet of old plywood for Banner and Brazos. They are convinced that they are building a little hide-out in the woods. My brother Ben and I always dreamed of the idea too when we were kids. My modern day children are calling their area "Starbucks." Future parties, sleepovers, family meals, and coffee breaks can be scheduled in their masterpiece.

I knew when I picked up the sheet of old wood that I needed my gloves, but who has time for that and who could find them anyway inside of my house? I knelt down and grabbed the corner and immediately let it slip...loosing my grip on the wood and gaining myself a deep splinter. That made me mad, so I proceeded to pick it up again and move it over its new position as an exterior "wall" in the Starbucks.

My oldest two children sat on down to enjoy their sandwiches...as if Starbucks was open for business; however, Blaise and Bosque were worried about my splinter. I told them I would tough it out and wait for Dad. I actually told them a little fib now that I look back. I would not dare let Branden get tweezers and perform surgery on my little finger. I already had decided that I would let this one fester for a few days and work it's way out.

I have checked on it a hundred times a day for the past 3 days. While I am reading to a class, finishing up a load of dishes, or getting dressed in the morning, I glance down to check on the progress. It does not really hurt, but I know it is there. Every time I glance at it, I am reminded of something much deeper and harmful than my little splinter. It makes me think of the sin in my life that I try to hide, ignore, or just live with. Much like the tiny speck of wood that could easily be removed in a minute if I would toughen up and get out a needle, my sin can be forgiven. Scripture in 1 John 1:9 tells me "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins, and purify us from all unrighteousness."

How simple is that? We have to make a move though. There is a choice and an action on our part. The Lord is 100% willing and able to forgive us of every sin, but we can't try to hide sin in our lives, cover it up, or ignore it. We must come to Him, talk to Him, and repent. This process does not require a degree in theology or a fancy prayer. The only requirement is a relationship with Jesus Christ and a honest heart of repentance.

What if sin is left unconfessed? We feel it. We look at it. We analyze it and then justify it. We let it fester. We become bitter. It can take over. It can literally destroy us.

Can sin be hidden? Sure, it can be hidden from the human eye, but it absolutely can not and will not be hidden from the Lord. A quick reading of Psalms 139 tells us that there is no fleeing from God. That same Psalm closes with this: "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." David in this Psalm did not only repent, but invited the Lord to search him for sin in his life.

Unconfessed sin will always cause pain and will never go away without bringing it to the Father. It also, much like my splinter, causes us to look its way over and over again. It is no surprise to me that one sin leads to another. We can quite possibly end up totally lost and on the wrong path in a very short time. A simple, yet powerful and sometimes painful reminder for me today of how I must seek the Lord, be honest with Him, and of how a day without Him in my life is a total wasted day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment