Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, January 30, 2011

Taylor Swift and Sweeping

My daughter, Blaise, grabbed the broom from me this morning because she wanted to help me sweep. Before too long she was going around our high-traffic area by the table and must have decided she needed some music to keep her motivated. Did I say "high traffic area" when I really should have said pitifully dirty area by our table? After a few minutes of work, she put down the broom for a minute and ran over to press play on her Taylor Swift c.d. that seems to forever be in the stereo and drives her older brother, Bosque crazy. I was washing dishes at the sink, but could see her every move and hear her singing as she pranced back to her work zone. She picked the broom and got back to work without even looking my way! She was enjoying herself to say the least. She was working hard and singing like she was in a video. Blaise swept up every crumb and created several piles.

Honestly, I could not keep my eyes off of her because the whole scene was just too cute! My soapy water in the sink could have quickly run over and turned into a sudsy river on the floor and I would not even have known it. I was looking up at her! She finally realized that I was watching her and began looking up at me too every few seconds too. We would smile simultaneously at each other and then both look back down and resume our domestic duties. We did this several times and then it turned into a big joke. After a few times of her glancing up and seeing my eyes still on her, she was all giggles and I was not far behind her. She finally said in a super dramatic voice, "Mom, every time I look up, you are still looking at me!" Simply put...I just could not stop watching her and was caught up in the moment of it all!

I thought...ok, me keeping my eyes locked on Blaise must be like how Jesus Christ keeps his eyes on me and for that matter, all of His children. Anytime we look His way, His eyes are on us. He must smile too and even laugh when we choose to pause in our busy day and look His way. He always promises to catch our glance whether we look His way for a meaningful, long stare or just a passing look and provides us with what we need for that minute in time! This is why He is Sovereign and Omnipresent. He can see it all and do it all at the same time! He can keep His eyes on you, me, the whole world. That just blows my mind and yes, just like this morning with Blaise, it makes me smile and gives me total peace when I think about the times that I seem to have "locked eyes" with the Lord!

My path last week crossed a woman's path who is only 28 years old and is battling breast cancer. If I am honest here, I wondered how I would feel after meeting her as I walked into her office because I had no idea what to expect. Would the reality bring it all back to me? Would I feel sorry for her and desperate to help her, or even feel a bit down? After we visited and I walked out of her office, I was totally amazed because I did not feel down. Karen lifted me! She made me smile! I could see Jesus all over her. She is looking to the medical field to help her, but more than that, she is looking to the Lord for her healing.

I pray Karen does not take her eyes off of the Lord for even a split second. In the midst of our greatest trials, we must look to Him and don't dare look away! I claim to know very little in all reality, but I know that to be 100% true. In some strange way that is hard to explain, in the scariest, darkest, most challenging times of life, whether it be a cure rate, a financial plan gone wrong, or news of a a love one in trouble, there is NOTHING that can compare to looking to Christ and knowing without a doubt His eyes are on you!

There is word in 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 that says "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." How can this be possible? We can face persecution head-on and not be abandoned. Likewise, the fiercest blows in life need not end in destruction if we are children of the Most High. We will face trials; however, we will not face them alone.

Another passage at the end of 2 Corinthians 4 seems to offer a plan for this type of life. It says "Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

If we fix our eyes on the Lord by reading His Word, knowing Him as our Savior, and communicating with Him, our eyes will be fixed on the only thing, the only One who can get us past the temporary trial. We also have to keep in mind that everything here in this life is temporary and our real eternity will be spent in heaven.

What happens if we look away, allow sin to get in the way of our view, or just get so busy that we forget to look? He will forgive us. The really special part of a relationship with Jesus too is that when we finally look His way again, we will discover that He never took His eyes off of us. So, today fix your eyes on the only thing that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment