Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, March 28, 2011

Which donut do you want?

My family requested donuts this weekend and since I have pretty much banned them on school days and opted for more protein, I granted their request and bought an assorted dozen. Amazingly enough, there were 4 remaining last night. I spotted my fancy cake dome on the bar and decided to put the last 4 in there on display to motivate my crew this morning to rise and shine. There were 2 glazed, 1 blueberry, and one chocolate covered glazed. As I walked through rooms and turned on lights today, I quietly said just loud enough so that my sleepy heads could hear, "The first dressed and at the table gets first choice of the left-over donuts." I knew that would work! Heads raised, arms stretched, and all four of my kiddos were looking for clothes pretty quickly. I prayed as I walked out of the last room to myself that the fact there was an assortment remaining would not cause a war on a Monday morning. That would be no way to start the week or the day for that matter.


Banner, the oldest, was first as usual. Brazos, 2nd in birth order, was 2nd and made his pick. I commented to myself...no conflicts yet and walked back down the hallway to check on Blaise and Bosque. By the time I was back in the kitchen, the younger two were standing at the side of the bar by the cake stand looking at the 2 remaining donuts. One was glazed and one was chocolate glazed. I heard the most amazing thing as I walked towards the kitchen. Bosque, my 7 year old, said "Blaise, which one do you want?" She looked up at him, smiled, and pointed to her choice. I froze because I did not want them to see me yet and I had to take it all in! Big brother reached up and handed her the donut of her choice, took his, and they walked over to the table.


I was amazed! It was one of those little moments in life that is really BIG and not a little moment at all! I used verbal praise well that I was taught in my education courses at UTA to acknowledge his sweetness and added in that Bosque had a heart like the Lord wanted him to have at that moment. (I stress at that moment and this is not to make my son out to be an angel!!! Only a short time later in the bathroom he said he did not like me because I messed up his perfect hairdo with my hand trying to smooth it out a bit.)


I live for these moments in motherhood and in life! I really do. These times are bigger and better than any dream destination vacation and piece of jewelry that could ever be bought for me. These moments with my kids way top the new Old Gringo boots I bought and adore a million times! These moments in life can not be bought, planned, or created on our own!


In a little book on JOY I have been reading there is a quote by Rick Warren that says "Your were made by God and for God - and until you understand that, life will not make sense." Really nothing about our lives is about us. We will only be happy when we put others before us. My son did that. You should have seen the smile on his face when he asked her which donut she wanted. He made her day and he liked it! I too know I am the most happy and content when I put others before me. Why we slip into modes of "SELF" I do not know because it always ends in defeat, sadness, and even depression.


Jesus Christ lived to serve us, died for us, and did it all without thinking about Himself, what He deserved, and what was owed to Him. We must prayerfully and obediently follow as close as we can in His footsteps. It begins today with not demanding that we have life our way, but looking around us to see who we can bless.


I don't know. Maybe today it will be that you give up your favorite donut, let the person in the line at the store go in front of you, or even do the dishes again even if it is not your turn...and with a smile!

Rick Warren begins his book "The Purpose Driven Life" with this simple line "It is not about you." To me that statement reveals more than anything why most people are miserable! We will never be satisfied and content if we take on the world's view that life is about US and needs to revolve around OUR NEEDS! "Self" will not work and will never produce joy.


The next paragraph in the book goes onto say "The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness. It's far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions. If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God. You were born by his purpose and for his purpose."


Bless someone today in your path. Live today with purpose from the Lord by putting others first, and yourself second. Oh, and...My son did not only make his sister's day, but mine too!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE you girlfriend! Thanks for sharing! You always put a HUGE smile on my face. ~ Tracey

    ReplyDelete