Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, May 20, 2013

Snakes, birds, and future spouses

I have only a few hobbies left at this stage of motherhood and life. Running, reading, writing, and watching my purple martins. My father in law is the biggest bird nerd and he has trained me well. My three houses are equipped this year with snake guards. Snakes have proven to be a problem in the past for my bird population and one can run your bird family off for good.

Therefore, I was totally surprised when I looked out of my bathroom window Sunday morning and saw a snake up past the guard weaving itself into the bird house. I screamed like a total panicked woman and as usual, my husband grabbed a gun and some bullets. We all ran out in the front yard. Some of us, will not give names, not even in appropriate clothing yet.

The horrible and mean snake got at least 2 of my adult birds. The others are scared and may not return. I was just amazed at the disgusting determination of the snake. Sickened by it. It reminded me of a quote I wrote down last week from my favorite Stormie Omartian book "Power of a Praying Parent." She writes "Remember that your fight is not with your child, it's with the devil. He is your enemy, not your child. Stand strong in prayer until you see a breakthrough in your child's life."

That is another example of frightening determination. The devil will stop at nothing to get to us and our children because his ultimate goal is to hinder the work of Jesus Christ. Pray and be on guard. Recognize that you are in a battle! Sounds a bit "out there" but it is true.

Part 2 of the snake story: I immediately sat down both of my daughters and told them that I needed to have serious talk with them. I made them promise me that they would marry a man who could shoot a gun, kill a snake, and take care of business like their daddy when duty calls. Second to being a Christian, I desire a man for them, and especially if they make their home in the country, who is a good shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment