Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, August 24, 2014

Camp

Today has been an awesome day. I went to church with all four of my kids, laughed all the way to Dallas with my daughter, ran in Target for a few summer essentials, fit in a quick run, visited with a dear friend for over an hour, and came home to delicious ribs cooked by my hubby and a clean house. Even though today was a picture perfect day, all I could think was…I miss camp! I had the privilege last week of going to Latham Springs with 29 kids from Fairfield and three other adults who were game for an adventure. And…I miss camp! I would go back this week if I could. I would trade in my king size bed for my twin bottom bunk in a heartbeat. I miss the laughter, tears of joy, Bible Study, great music, crazy kick ball games, and my unofficial post as shower monitor reminding the girls to get washed up quickly and keep up with their personal belongings. I miss organizing a search party several times a day to find a missing sock, misplaced brush, or bag. I miss our area of the cafeteria where we ate being serenaded by kazoos and a constant beat made by newly purchased drumsticks on the table. Why do I miss it so much? What could be so wonderful about averaging six hours of sleep a night in a cabin full of forty or so girls and spending the hottest three hours of the day outside in the heat? It was amazing because without the constant distraction of television, cell phones, housework, and cooking for me, the presence of the Lord was very real. After about two days at camp and sensing that the kids loved it too, I began telling them that we had to find a way to take the “feeling” we were having at camp home. The theme of camp was “Duct Dynasty.” The last day during Bible Study we did a cool activity where we were each given a piece of duct tape and asked to write one thing on it that we wanted to stick and take home. There were so many truths I wanted to take home with me from camp like: God will always take you back. This book, the Bible, will keep me from sin. Sin will keep me from this book. Everything we say should honor God and encourage others. You can’t have Jesus in your heart and do nothing! How will you know you had a good week at camp? You will know it was good if you go home different. Those are a few of my notes that I really wanted to stick, and did I miss that I really miss camp? However, I am home now. All of my extra kids, who I really miss, are home now and back in their own set of circumstances. I know for a fact that the only way I will make it on this earth and experience joy is to read my Bible and spend time with the Lord daily. The only way my campers will make it on this earth is to read their Bibles daily and try to apply God’s truths to every situation that comes their way. So, join us. Whether it has been a day, a week, a year, or your quiet time with Jesus Christ has yet to begin, start today. Psalm 16:11 explains it all. “You have made known to me the path of life. You will fill me with joy in your presence.”

No comments:

Post a Comment