Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, August 24, 2014

Stuck

We just got back from Schlitterbahn. There were lots of laughs, lines, more laughs and more lines. There is a certain ambiance that comes with the largest waterpark in the world. Today I thought I saw smoke and realized that it was a mom at a picnic table spraying sunscreen on her kids. I also thought I witnessed a drowning baby until a fellow “Dragon Slayer” waiting in line explained to me that it was a fake baby being thrown in the river to make sure that the closest lifeguard was doing his job. He was! I heard a whistle and he yanked the baby out by one leg from the river before I could even climb under the rope to go help. I was on my way! I still may need counseling to get over it. Thank God it was a training maneuver. I told my kids early this morning as I slowly slipped down into the icy water never to doubt my love for them because I was freezing. That first ride today marked the pinnacle of my laughter. I got caught up in a whirlpool current that would not let me move on down the chute! It was crazy. I was going around and around and could not get out of the whirlpool no matter how hard I tried. I started laughing. I was hysterical. Everyone scooted effortlessly by me and floated right on down. I got so tickled that I could not even ask for help. The sad thing was that right about the time I could not breathe and my stomach was cramping from cackling so hard, I saw a familiar purple shirt coming way my. It was Bosque. I just knew he would help me; however, he got stuck too. There we were together doing a “do-si-do” like we were square dancing in the water going around and around. Bosque got mad at me for chuckling and yelled loud enough to be heard over the rushing waves, “MOM, it is not funny…get me out of here.” He splashed me too as if that was going to punish me. I could not possibly have been more wet or cold. Finally, we worked the current over on the right hand side and got out! Twelve hours later, I still laugh so hard that I cry when I think about our predicament. That is my lesson of the week or my “note to self.” Sometimes when you are stuck and going around and around in life, just laugh. I mean, just sit back in your chair, relax in your tube, or wherever the LORD has you, and laugh. Stop trying to fight your way out and getting mad that the world is passing you by. Do not worry about who momentarily scoots right past you without any effort at all because maybe God will send you someone to hang out with you, thus my Bosque today. Maybe too you are meant to be stuck for a while, just where you are, so be content. I was so content today after I stopped fighting. I had a blast! I settled in. It reminds me of the verse in Philippians 4:12 that says “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” I agree with Paul. I know the secret too of contentment. It begins with Jesus in your life.

1 comment: