Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, August 24, 2014

New School Year...Run your Race!

Last Sunday in church I heard a familiar verse; however, I did not just hear it, I heard it and it spoke to me in a new way. (Yes, the Word of God is living and does actually speak to those who take the time to listen.) I adopted it as my verse for the 2014-2015 school year. Drumroll please….my verse for the school year is Hebrews 12:1-2. It says “Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.” I wrote it in my journal using my own words and it was like the Lord spoke to me and said this: Run YOUR race, kid. Run it well. Do not quit running when you are tired. Get rid of the sin. It will slow you down. Run your best race, do your best. Put on blinders, the world will try to distract you. We have come too far, even when you are tired, don’t turn back. Don’t dare look behind, right or left, but look forward at Me. Keep your eyes on Me and RUN YOUR RACE, KID. For those of you who know I am 41 years old, you may think it is funny that I felt like the Lord said to me “Run your race, KID” since 41 is not the age of a kid. Relatively speaking though, I still am a kid in the Kingdom of God. I invited Jesus into my heart only 11 years ago, so all of this is still new to me. I also feel better than I did in my twenties, so I still answer to and identify with the title of kid. Let’s get back to Hebrews 12: 1-2. I want to share this verse with Moms and Dads who begin the race this week of getting kids up and out on time, helping with homework, and playing taxi driver even when you may be worn slap out. Run your race! I share this verse with the home school mommas, whom I admire and greatly respect, because they are both Mom and teacher all day and night long. Run your race! I share this with recent graduates from high school who now are running an unfamiliar race at college or in the workforce. Oh, my heart goes out to you and I plead with you to hear this…Jesus says “Run your race, kid, and keep your eyes on me. You may be all grown up and independent, but spend some time with me every day so I can help you. Run to adulthood and know I am running with you.” I share this verse with the brave men and women who work in the school system. With changes, cuts, and increased pressure from this test and that, Jesus says to you…”Run your race and run it with love because there is a whole classroom full of kids who look up to you. Lead them to the content, but love them on the way.” I share this verse with students of any and every age who are tempted to compare themselves to someone else and feel like they just don’t add up…Jesus says “Run your race, kid, and there is an emphasis on YOUR, run YOUR race and don’t compare.” With the help of Jesus Christ, I am going to try and run my race this year with a smile. We are only given one life, one race here on this earth, so we better run hard, run with purpose, and most of all, run with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment