Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, March 6, 2015

Another ticket...


A few weeks ago I got pulled over on the way to school and got what I deserved… a ticket!  I have always had a heavy foot if you want to call it that.  You could say too that I put the pedal to the medal.  My cruise control is my best friend when I use it because it keeps me traveling at a slow and steady pace, not to mention a SAFE pace. 

At the time of my citation, we were on the way to town. For the first time all week, we were actually on time for school and work.  My Accord was packed full and rolling at maximum capacity.  The seats, floorboards, and dash were all being utilized because I packed in four kids and an assortment of backpacks and essential items that would be needed for the day. 

I am sure we were a sight to see when the officer peeked in and surveyed his surroundings.  We look like clowns at the circus in our little car ready to file out one by one.  He came up to the window and said “Mam, is there any reason you are in a hurry today?” 

I was totally honest and said “No, sir, no reason at all.  I was just driving, visiting, singing, and not paying attention.  I was driving too fast and I deserve a ticket.”  I had my license and insurance card ready and passed them over the oldest Monico. The officer walked back to his car to write my ticket.  He was very nice.

My kids asked me why I did not say I was late to work and try to get out of it.  One of them also used some early morning wit and said it looked like disco lights behind us…AGAIN! (This has happened before.)

I needed the ticket in a way.  I was out of line and not using my cruise control; therefore, being an irresponsible driver.  The ticket in an odd way has helped me, even though I hate to admit it.  It is kind of like when you just know that your kids need a spanking or to be grounded.  Children can be out of line and just beg to be put back in. 

One time on the way to town my boys were fighting.  The older one blurted out that they just needed a spanking.  I pulled over on a dirt road and gave them one.  Luckily I was wearing a belt.  We got back in the car and it was a much better day.  My boys needed to be “reset” that day.  Likewise, I needed to be reset and reminded to drive the speed limit. 

Yesterday I passed an officer on the way to town.  It glanced down at my odometer and was at totally peace because my cruise was set and I was obeying the law.  It was nice to not have to worry!  I was doing what I should be doing, right in the middle of the road and coasting along obediently at a nice speed.  There is a beautiful passage in Proverbs 4:25-27 that relates to this. 

It says “Let your eyes look directly ahead and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.  Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established.  Do not turn to the right nor to the left; Turn your foot from evil.”  Watch your speed this week, but more importantly, watch your path.  Stay in the middle of God’s plan for your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment