Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, March 9, 2015

cinnamon rolls


I had this whole super clever and creative idea in mind this week for my column.  It originated from Pillsbury cinnamon rolls.  You know…the kind that you unwrap a layer of the can by pealing the paper until the whole thing goes pop and unveils eight cinnamon rolls and a small container of icing. They happen to be one of the two things that get my kids out of bed.  Cinnamon rolls and something down by the deer feeder that they can shoot make them come running. 

Cinnamon roll mornings usually start off great, but steadily go downhill when the battle over who gets  the middle one begins. (Please tell me this is not just at my house)   It is a debate of who had it last time and which other one looks good and juicy.  I usually stay out of it and just mumble a verse about being a peacemaker.

Last week I was really clever and found a larger pan that would enable me to take out the middle man!  All eight cinnamon rolls fit side by side around the pan on the exterior edges, leaving nothing in the interior but a blank space.  Problem solved!

When the first Monico came stumbling into the kitchen tired and hungry, she immediately noticed the difference.  Something was up!  I sweetly told her to take note, I had solved the cinnamon roll battle once and for all with my new and improved, larger pan.

We discussed today in church a scene from Acts 4:13 that I came across a few years ago and even underlined, dated, and wrote about back then.  It is after Peter and John, in the name of Jesus, healed the crippled man.  They were called in and questioned, but did not back down because they were full of the Holy Spirit. 

Acts 4:13 records that the high priest and his “high” friends took note.  It says “When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled and ordinary men, they were astonished and took note that these men had been with Jesus.” 

They knew something was up!  They took note!  They could tell Peter and John had been with Jesus.  They went from ordinary men to being extraordinary because they knew the Lord in a deep and personal way!   They were able to do mighty things in the name of Jesus!  Yes, I am using way too many exclamation points because we have to take note of this passage of scripture if we want to move from ordinary to extraordinary.  We must get with Jesus. 

If you are looking for extraordinary in your home, work, school, finances, health, then open your Bibles this week and read Acts 3 and 4.  It is beautiful.  Take note.  Peter and John were different.  They stood out because of Jesus.  It had nothing to do with them nothing to do with their education, position in society, or anything else, but all to do with how they were living life and operating in the name of Jesus. 

Would someone at the grocery store, office, or in the classroom look at you and take note…wonder why you are different?  If so,

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment