Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, March 6, 2015

I AM


This week has been a blur.  It has been a good blur, but full of activity and a BLUR to say the least.  We are knee deep getting ready for the book fair at school. We attended the Rock and Worship Road Show in Dallas Wednesday night.  The Second Annual Daddy Daughter Dance was a hit again, but required some preparation around here with my youngest daughter.  For the oldest, high school softball is up and running.  Add in some daily homework, and geez, I feel like I need a nap!  There has been a lot going on, and still is!

 At the moment, I am sitting next to my son urging him for the hundredth time I know to finish up his homework.  My other son is holding a whiffle ball bat in the kitchen and just chunked a dodge ball across the living room.  He just also got in trouble for beating out a rhythmic beat on the counter like he does so often.  He is destined to be a drummer or just drive us crazy!  In the meantime, my husband pulled out the lasagna to make his lunch for tomorrow, and instructed me on how to more properly cover the pan in foil so that it did not loosen when it is moved. 

It is really quite hysterical because in some odd way, I tend to operate better in this type of typical family madness. My fingers just type on.   I just left the computer because the boys dared me to go throw the dodge ball at my husband in bed.  That lead to a five minute match and now I am winded. 

Honestly in all of the chaos, fun, and busyness of my life, I could get really confused and bogged down and question my real identity...  Am I a referee, a personal go getter, or a parent trying to do it all and one step away from losing it and doing nothing at all?   

The thing that keeps me going is that I know who I AM.  I had to write a page of a book this week with my fifth graders.  I tried not to think too much, but just wrote what came to mind.  Our title and our topic for each page is simple:  I AM...

I wrote I AM…a wife, mom, daughter, friend, writer, runner, teacher, Child of God, forgiven, redeemed, saved, unorganized, not perfect, better than I used to be, a baker, getting more wrinkles, 42, and so on!  My fifth graders took on the same task.  The inspiration for our book is from how we begin class each day. Our mornings begin with an I AM statement.  My students have often inspired me and helped me get ready for the day.  I loved the day that our leader said, “I am tired and not feeling it today, but I am going to wake up and make it great.” 

Try your own I AM this week and just see what you come up with.  More importantly, read these I AM statements in John that Jesus spoke. 

I am the bread of life.

I am the light of the world.

I am the door.

I am the good shepherd.

I am the resurrection and the life.

I am the vine.

I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me. 

Even since I began writing this, I have been tested, overwhelmed, and a bit worried.  I will go back to my own I Am statements to keep my mind right, but much more importantly, I know I have Jesus on my side and He is…well, everything I need! 

No comments:

Post a Comment