Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Sunday, June 28, 2015

Armadillo


Today was one of those days that you just have to love!  My driver’s ed student was cruising cautiously on Highway 75 just south of Streetman when she nailed her first armadillo.  I have taught her not to swerve if something comes out in front of her, but to reduce her speed, keep her hands on the wheel, and hit it if necessary.  I have not shared with her that I usually close my eyes right before I make contact with whatever is in my way and scream.  I will keep that personal tip of mine to myself.

When she flipped the armadillo, we laughed so hard.  I do not know why we would laugh at the loss of life, but we totally lost it!  All she could say between the laughter was “You told me never to swerve.”  That is true!  She followed my instructions.   

My morning even was interesting because I woke up in a strange room totally dazed and confused.  I spent last night at my in-laws in Dallas.  My husband’s childhood room became my room when we got married and started having kids.  I claimed it because I go there more than he does.  I believe in “You snooze, you lose.”  The bed has always been on the west wall of the house nestled right under the only window in the room.  This trip it had been moved. It was on the north wall of the room, and I could not sleep. 


I thought all night “Where am I?”  When my phone alarm went off and I figured out my surroundings, I was glad to be up and stop fighting the strange set-up of my room. 

I have been in similar circumstances in life.  I have often thought “Where am I?”  On more than one occasion, I have thought and even written about the moment that reality hits and we as human beings, even Christians, wake up in unforeseen territory and think “Lord, I didn’t sign up for this, what is going on?”

It may be divorce that you did not sign up for, a move, an addiction you cannot seem to beat, or even a co-worker that you are forced to work with and get along with daily.  It may be cancer that you did not expect, but you find yourself in a chair having your head shaved because you cannot bear to see anymore hair gradually fall out.

There are lots of things in life that come our way that we would rather just not have to deal with at all.  What about when you watch a loved one suffer and you think silently with tears streaming down your face, they did not sign up for this and how am I supposed to watch it happen?  The pain can be unbearable. 

Sometimes we may wake up and feel all alone.  A family friend buried his lifelong mate on Saturday and said that he was surrounded by people, but had never been so lonely in his whole life.  He woke up with the reality of being alone. 

Yesterday as I thought about the fact, YES…it is a fact, that in this world we will have troubles. I was comforted by Psalm 139.  I read the whole thing out loud two times in my car in a parking lot. 

It will comfort you this week.  Psalm 139 is a must read!  It is a must read OUT LOUD read!  You will realize that even though the territory surrounding you or a loved one may be unfamiliar, it is not to the LORD.  He knows!  You are not alone! NO matter what the circumstances may look like, you can rejoice because you are in the hands of the Almighty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment