Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, June 8, 2015

rain and sludge...and snakes


We are still seeing effects of the rain around here.  Our gate up front has not worked properly since the last thunderstorm.  I do not really know if the weather actually has anything to do with it or not, but I say it does just attempting to draw a somewhat logical conclusion for why it goes berserk.  One day a few weeks ago I had to park outside of the gate and walk home because the gate would not open.  It was the first sunny day in forever so I did not mind.  I was looking forward to my stroll in the country. 

Step one was to cross the cattle guard.  Step two was to climb over the gate then mosey on home down our white rock road.  My adventure was abruptly halted when I saw something move underneath the cattle guard.  It was a snake.  I am not sure if my heart rate has returned to normal yet. 

I did what any smart country girl would do.  I got right back in my Accord, put it in reverse, and headed back to town.  The housework I needed to do had to wait!

Hopefully now that the rain has ceased, we can get our yard mowed and the gate back to normal.  I gained a new respect for cattle guards too.  They now are fully examined pipe by pipe, row by row, before I even put the first toe on them. 

The rain has filled up our lakes and tanks for sure around here.  Our lake is full of beautiful clean water and we treat it like our swimming pool.  I carried a diet coke and a bag of pork skins down there last week and watched the kids swim for hours. I thought it was heavenly!  I was the cannonball judge and commander of wasp patrol under the roof. 

The funny thing is that although our lake is more full and clearer than ever, around it there is some sludge and trash that has washed up.  I have heard that area big lakes have major trash problems right now.  The rain filled up the lakes, thank God, and cleansed them.  All of the junk surfaced and now has to be dealt with. 

That happens to me from time to time.  When I spend time with the Lord being quiet, still, and honest with myself, there is a cleaning process that begins, and some junk begins to surface.  If I am too busy to even think, it goes unnoticed.  That stinks because I want to be free, clean, and right before the Lord. I do not want a like so clouded and bogged down with junk that I am useless.  Sometimes the sludge just has to surface and be dealt with!  It may be ugly, but like with the lakes, it is worth it! 

There is a Mercy Me song that I love.  It says “Word of God speak, would you pour down like rain, washing my eyes to see Your majesty.”  Get in the Word this week.  Find time to open your Bible and get alone with the Jesus Christ.  You may have to lock yourself in your closet. I have even used the bathroom as an escape.  Maybe you need a back corner of the library or to sit in your car during your lunch break.  Whatever it takes, let the Lord wash away some of the junk in your life and fill you back up with His amazing love.  You will be blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment