Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, June 6, 2016

Mother


Mother’s Day has been a good, but different!  I have not worn a stitch of make-up, and I am 100% convinced I would make a “Do and Do Not” fashion list.  I would appear on the DO NOT list.  I have on tights that I usually run in.  They hit me right below the knee.  I have paired them with my Ariat boots, no accessories, and a fitted top.

I chose my attire because the kids granted my Mother’s Day wish, and we picked berries.  Jeans seemed unnecessary for our excursion; therefore, the tights won.  Boots were necessary for snake protection. 

To sum it all up, I look pitiful, and I love it!  The focus today was more on berries and cobbler than it was me.

Prayer has been my focus too. I have lifted up Mothers. Many have recently lost their own Mothers.  One friend in particular moved away, but I remember the summer she lost her Mother.  It was so hard on her to manage her Mother’s care while she fought cancer and also her three small children.  She left her kids with her hubby to go be with her Mom.  My heart broke for her then, and I prayed for her today.

A young Mom here in town is expecting her second child and just said good-bye to her Mom until they meet again in heaven.  She was on my mind today.  I prayed for her. 

None of my prayers were formal, sit down, and bow the head kind of prayers.  I talked to the Lord on the back of a four wheeler.  I visited with Him while I squatting down on a fence row to grab another berry. 

I so often consume my mind with junk that does not matter, but today I got it right. I dedicated my day to the idea Paul presents in 1 Thessalonians 5: 16 – 18.  He wrote “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” I prayed without ceasing and I rejoiced!

I prayed for a Mother I do not even know.  I observed her last week at Children’s Hospital in Dallas when I was visiting a precious student.  This particular Mom became a hero to me without even knowing I existed or that I was listening to her.  She was sitting in a toddler size chair next to her son.  He was about four and looked healthy.  I assumed his cancer treatment had just begun. 

He pretended to prepare her lunch.  She smiled, laughed, and thanked him for her burger.  It was plastic, but she acted like it was real.  She asked for mustard.  He pretended to give her some. 

I thought… Only a Mother can sit in a chair made for a five year old inside of a cancer wing playroom and ask for mustard!  Only a Mother can have enthusiasm and play in circumstances that are so daunting!  She amazed me.

In a few minutes, her other son walked in with her husband. He was the one with cancer.  He was bald.  She asked if he wanted to join them for lunch.  He wheeled over his IV stand and sat down next to the inedible, make-believe food. 

I do not know her name.  There are many others like her though that exhibit unexplainable strength. It is the strength of a Mother and just astonishing!

It was the best Mother’s Day ever for me because I was not focused on me. I talked with my Heavenly Father about others.   

Prayer is our greatest form of communication and connects us to other people.  Who do you need to connect to this week…a Mom, a Dad, a friend, a child? 

Prayer is the way.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment