Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Saturday, April 27, 2013

Strawberry shortcake without strawberries

I was prepared today, totally not the norm, and had sloppy joes and strawberry shortcake ready for our after school, pregame snack. It was a yummy treat. Banner dished up the dessert and had it ready to serve as usual. Bosque's request baffled her. He wanted strawberry shortcake without the strawberries.

Big sister thought that was the funniest thing ever. I didn't even laugh because when I was a kid, I did the same thing at Mammaw's house on Sundays. Banner said it just didn't make any sense!

As usual, overhearing my munchkins, I compared the request of my son to something The Lord had been teaching me. Bosque wanted a dab of "this and that." He was sort of on the fence, you might say, with his order for dessert. He wanted to pick and choose, create his own idea of what would be good for him.
In the land of Burger King, he wanted to have it HIS own way.

We do that with The Lord. We read our Bibles, hear a sermon, get our answer from The Lord in our prayer time and then pick and choose what we will obey fully, obey partially, or even completely ignore.

We can't ignore this word in Romans 8:6. "The mind of the sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace."

That should help us when the Lord speaks to us and we think to ourselves, NO...I think I will have it may way. Sin is sin. It leads to death and destruction. Living in the Spirit means not living perfect, but staying close with The Lord and asking The Lord to forgive us when we do goof up. Obedience is not boring. It is the most freeing thing in the world because peace and walking right with The Lord brings joy like nothing else will!

Having it our way may feel good at the time, but having it the Lord's way is the best! It starts today with obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment