Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, July 26, 2013

Grasshoppers

I recently had a few nights at VBS with my Aunt Nancy and her crew. We had a great time as usual. I am embarrassed to admit what Katie, my younger cousin, and I talked about the first night for probably 30 minutes or so. We talked about grasshoppers!!! How boring, adult-like and "country" is that. She has been under attack. We were a few years ago. Seriously... attack! Grasshoppers have been on my mind since then because I see them so often. Thankfully, not in my immediate yard, but in the more distant, surrounding areas.

Thus, I have two recent observations about grasshoppers. On a run up the white rock road, I saw something for the first time. I spotted what appeared to be an adult grasshopper with a "childlike" grasshopper hopping along beside it. I am assuming mom and child because that's just what they looked like to me.

The smaller version of the pest followed right along behind momma, pinging and bouncing its way across the road to the grass. It, they, reminded me that our children, or people in our lives, follow us wherever we go, noting how we talk, react, spend our money, time, and how we treat others. We better make sure we lead them in the right direction and hop with a decent attitude. Perfect? Not possible, but being ever aware of the fact that others are following us and watching our every move. (Just like the momma and her mini me grasshopper)

Next observation is this. The first time we take the trash to the dumpster and travel down the path on the ranger, there are thousands of grasshoppers that part the path trying whole heartily to get out of our way. On our way back home, traveling down the same road through the pasture, there are not as many. It's like they have moved on out. They are "onto" us, ready for us. That is how we should react to life's many trials.

Reminds me of how in life something can blindside us the first time it comes along, but after trip down the wrong path a time or two, it should get easeir and we should not be caught AS off guard. Maybe it is a comment from a co-worker that sends us over the edge? Perhaps there is an old addiction or destructive pattern in your life that rears its ugly head every so often? A trap of gossip that you fall into? If you know what to expect and can even see it coming, get out of the way. Be prepared. Be on guard. Pray up. Rest up
Be ready. I love the word in 1 Corinthians 16:13 that tells us this: "Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be men of courage, be strong. Do everything in love."

I'm carrying that thought with me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment