Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mother's Day


There is a lot going on around here on the close of Mother’s Day Sunday.    I will have to work to get my thoughts out.  I hit my head two times when I was getting the eggs out of the chicken coop.  Our coop was designed for little kids to go in I guess and retrieve the goods, not average height adults.  My other mishap was when I was walking down the hallway and was nearly knocked down by a wet Jack Russell who was running like a bandit.  We crossed paths and I knocked a picture off of the wall when I lunged to protect myself from a fall.  I stayed up, the picture came down, and my four legged friend never looked back.   

I started thinking about Mother’s Day last weekend when I was in Dallas in my hubby’s old neighborhood. I was driving through Lockwood Meadows and had to hit my breaks because something was coming out into the street from the park. It was headed right my way. 

When my eyes adjusted and my car slowed to a stop, I realized that it was a momma duck with a whole row of little duckies following right along behind her.  She was about to cross the road.  Both momma duck and I had quick reflexes.  She made a 180 after only about two waddles into the street and headed back up to the sidewalk, and I stopped completely in the road. 

Banner and I headed on down the street in awe of what had just happened.  We decided to bust a U and go back to spy on the little family.  Sure enough, there was a man with his dog standing over by the tennis courts watching too.  The duck had lead her kiddos up into some bushes and was just hanging out there.  Maybe she knew she had a close call when she tried to cross the busy road and was catching her breath.

I told the gentleman standing there that I had four kids and often thought of myself as the Momma Duck leading the pack.  I know my children follow me everywhere I go.  He told me that his wife died when his daughter was just three so he had been Momma Duck and Daddy Duck. He never remarried and spent his life taking care of her.  I loved our conversation and was glad that I took the time to go back and see the ducks and to meet him.  Banner was right along with me for the whole adventure too as usual.  I loved that as well!

Church today went right along with this concept.  Brother Chris taught from Matthew 28.  Jesus said in it “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”  Chris made some great points about being a disciple and influencing others as you go through everyday life, not waiting for big events!  He ended with a question that was the kicker!  I took notes and added in a few words because it hit home for me. 

Are those you disciple and influence becoming more like Christ because of the example you are setting for them or more like the world? 

Whether you are a mother, a father, a friend, a student, young or old, a doctor, teacher, or a mechanic, you have the chance to lead others.  You have a chance to be the MOTHER DUCK.  Will you lead others to the LORD or lead them out into the road headed for danger?  

If you realized you are leading the wrong way, turn around and do a 180 because you are never alone. You are being followed.

Lead this week and lead well.  Disciple this week and disciple well.  Influence this week and influence well.  You are not leading alone.  Jesus Christ is with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment