Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Rainbow


I have the greatest job at church.  I get to hang out with the kids. We call it “kid’s church” and we often make fun of the grown-ups who are in “big kid” church because we think we have way more fun.  I guess that if every church member found an area within the church that they could serve and love serving, we would never have to ask for volunteers or pass around a sign-up sheet to get help. 

Today I started off with a question.  I said “We are going to talk about what it has been doing around here for the past few weeks.  What do you think it is?”  I had a room full of kids who responded with RAIN.  They knew it! 

Our lakes are full.  Our backyard is a river.  Our baseball and softball games have been cancelled.  Our mower has been stuck.  Mowers are not four-wheelers and were not created for mudding.  (Just ask my hubby) 

The rain has produced several rainbows.  One day we had a double one.  It was like an artist painted a beautiful masterpiece just for our eyes! (He did.)   I have been glad to see the rainbows because they have reminded me of the promise God made that he will never flood the earth again.  That promise reminds me of the many other promises that I should be focusing on daily. What God’s Word promises us is way better than a pinky promise with a friend, will power or promise we make with ourselves! 

Numbers 23:19 says “Every promise that I made it true; for I do not lie or change my mind.”  If you are facing fear, insecurity, regret, failure, addiction, worry, find a promise in the Bible and stand on it.  Stand on the Word of God.  Stand on it for yourself.  Stand on the Word for a loved one.  Corrie Ten Boom says “Let God’s promises shine on your problems.” 

Sticking with rainbows, I shared with the kids today what I think is one of the coolest stories in the Bible.    When God decided to wipe out the human race back in Genesis, he picked Noah because of his righteousness and told him to build an ark.   

I still remember where I was sitting when it dawned on me that Noah had never seen rain! Let me repeat that.  Noah had never before seen rain, but he knew God enough to know that He meant business, so he built the ark!  Everyone probably thought he was crazy.  He must have just ignored his neighbors and built.  He did what he was supposed to do. He did what God told him to do.

There is such a lesson in Noah’s story for us all.  Will I do what I am supposed to do?  Will I “build” when the Lord tells me build?  Will I rest when the Lord tells me to rest?  Will I trust God?

Will you do what you are supposed to do?  Will you “build” when the Lord tells you to build? Will you rest when the Lord tells you to rest?  Most of all, will you trust God this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment