Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Line


I spend a great deal of time in the car with my kiddos.  Like most moms, I consider one of my job titles taxi driver.  I have always loved to load up my crew though and go somewhere.  When my oldest two were little, I would drive them around my neighborhood in Dallas to get them to sleep so I could rest.  I remember being so sleepy that I barely could make it around the block and back home much less unload them.  I took a few naps right there in my driveway with the car still running.   I gave up on riding the next two around because it became an impossible task to get them all four of them asleep at the same time. 

All of the car seats were sold in garage sales a few years ago, so our road trips are much easier.  Everyone loads up their own junk, and I just grab my purse and a bottle of water. Who am I kidding?  I always have to look for my keys and run back in for at least one item that I accidentally left behind.  Some of our best conversations take place in the car and we sing like we are the Osmond family on tour, although the kids don’t even know who the Osmonds are. 

One thing I detest about car time though is “THE LINE.”  Parents of the world, you know what LINE I am referring to.  It is the imaginary line that every child who has ever lived and been in the backseat of a car draws.  It is the LINE that separates MY side of the seat from YOUR side.   My cousins always had the line in their car.  My brother and I sure did, and now I am cursed in adulthood still with the LINE. 

Tonight on the way home from Dallas, I heard too many times “You are crossing the line and on MY SIDE.” It still echoes in my head even though we are home.  The LINE to me is a touchy subject.  We all do need our space.  Nobody trapped in a car for any amount of time wants someone sprawled all out and hogging the seat. 

However, I also think that sometimes a bit of togetherness is a good thing and the LINE needs to go to make peace!  If someone is tired, loan them an extra inch so they can get comfortable.  If someone is uncomfortable, allow them to shift over and cross the line just a bit.  Car trips are like a team sport.  You have to work together and be ONE team!

Yesterday I experienced the team concept at church.  I walked into the children’s wing with high blood pressure and anxiety, triggered from being late. I immediately spotted a group of wonderful volunteers waiting patiently on me with huge smiles to help with the “Spring Fling” for the kids.  It was teamwork from beginning to end.  There was no line!  There was no mine and yours, but US and WE, and it was awesome!  There was face painting, a clown, bean bag scripture games, great music, and an amazing lesson.  Everyone was blessed, the adults and children alike! 

Maybe this week a “line” in you have drawn in life needs to go?  My side, your side, my job, your job might need to be shared!  There might need to be some TEAM!  Ecclesiastes 4:9 says “Two are better than one.”  I could not agree more.  Do away with “The line” in the car and in life!  Practice some togetherness and have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment