Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, August 3, 2017

Birthday Girl

The youngest Monico turned 12 yesterday.  To celebrate the special occasion, I let her decide how we  would spend the afternoon on her special day.  I pulled an “all-nighter” for Project Graduation the night before, so we could not start until I got some much needed rest during the morning hours. 
Staying up all night is not for the weary.  The only reason I will say yes again will be to chaperone an important event for one of my kids…and if the event happens to have enough chaperones or if I can sign up for a shift that includes a bit of shut-eye, I will surely pick one of those options.
Blaise picked a movie for our outing.  She used my phone to look up possible movies and times.  After carefully researching her options, she chose the 4:50 showing of “A Dog’s Purpose.”  I was pumped!
We ate at Panda Express, filled up with gas, and then took advantage of a quick car wash.  We arrived at the movies just on time.  The attendant looked at me like I was crazy when I politely asked for three tickets for “A Dog’s Purpose.”   She said “Mam, that movie has not been showing for months.” 
I cannot for the life of me figure out where Blaise got her movie titles and times.  They were wrong.  She immediately said that the movie theater sure did need to update their website. (Doubtful) 
Since it was her birthday, I just smiled and dug some cash out of my wallet for games.  They played in the arcade, I ate popcorn, and then we headed back home. It was still a fun event….like it usually is with Blaise.  She inherited the trait of making lemonade out of lemons. 
However, as we pulled out of the theater, I silently vowed to always double check times, dates, and locations for Blaise.  No damage was done on this particular occasion, but it could have been more than just a movie that we were totally mistaken about.
There are other things too that we need to double check in life.  I am currently, as I type, involved in a conflict with someone that I need to address. I have been praying and asking the LORD for wisdom before I discuss this matter.  You might say I am double checking with God before I move. 
I do not want to step out in my own power or even in my own understanding and mess anything up more. Psalm 119:105 says “Your word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path.”  I feel like I am in the dark about this particular issue.  It is such a relief to know that I do have a guide though.
It is wise to double check the Word of God with everything!  In Romans 15:4, Paul wrote “Everything written in the Scriptures was written to teach us, in order that we might have hope through the patience and encouragement which the Scriptures give us.”
Meditating on scripture about specific matters or life in general will not only give us wisdom, but also will help us remain patient and give us the encouragement that we need to cope. 
How do I know this?  Why do I believe it?  I know it is true because Romans 15:4 says it.  The Word of God does not lie! 
With difficult events and the hard to live with circumstances that we all face from time to time, we have to spend time in the Word.  It is sometimes my only hope!   Before you act, move, or even allow yourself to feel too much, check with the Word and then…recheck with the Word. 



No comments:

Post a Comment