Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, August 3, 2017

Lab work

Last Friday, I had routine lab work scheduled.  I called my nurse to see exactly what I could have before I went.  The answer served me very well…black coffee and water. Most mornings all I have is black coffee and water.  I am typically very content with those two things.  I eat a big breakfast later and then enjoy a late lunch. 
However, something funny happened to me last Friday.  Because I could not eat, I was starving! I dreamed about biscuits, gravy, and eggs.  My mind was totally focused on food!   Most of the time, I do not even think about food until much later in the day.  Friday though… food was forbidden, food was the bad thing, and food was all I wanted.  Food was my focus!
A preacher on television reminded me of the power of my own mind Friday after I got home.  He enthusiastically and empathetically said that our circumstances were not the real battle at hand, but our own minds were the real problem. My battle with food or the lack of food on Friday in my mind was the real problem at hand.  My mind was telling me that I was starving… and maybe I was really not. 
Perhaps it was all in my mind… My tummy was typically satisfied with only black coffee and water until mid-morning,  but I was focusing on the bad and what was bugging me, what I could not have, more than what I could have on my normal Fridays . 
F.C.A. was awesome as usual.   A precious young man shared his testimony and what the LORD was doing in his life.  It was awesome!  When he finished and I headed out to the lab, I was again…starving!  On any other Friday, I would not have thought about food. 
Philippians 4:8 says “Finally brothers, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever I pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or   praiseworthy – think about such things.” 
Think is the key word here. Whatever we think about is the big deal!  A scripture says that our minds will keep in perfect peace if we are focused on Him. The Him is Jesus.  It is true that if we are focused on the positive and if we are focused on Jesus and on the good, we will be okay. 
It is so easy to think about what we can’t have or what we have messed up having, that we can’t think  about the here and now…
Jesus in here.  Jesus is now. Focus your thoughts on Him and you can’t go wrong.   Blessings to you this week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment