Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, August 3, 2017

Jesus Calling

My favorite devotional is Jesus Calling.  It was “right on the money” July 15th.  You might say that it “hit the nail on the head” or hit me on the head, and I was super excited when I read it.  It lined up with one of the most basic beliefs I have adopted in recent years.  I probably valued it too because this was an instance that I could read and say to myself…Yes, I do this already!  Bullseye! 
That is not always the case. Often after reading a devotional or spending time in the Word, I feel convicted about how far I am off the mark.  Thankfully, on this particular day, that was not the case! 
Jesus Calling by Sarah Young has been my go-to devotional for the past few years.  The kid’s edition is totally worth looking up and buying too.  Before I had a driver in the house and was privileged to take all of my kids to school, we read it out loud on our 10 mile drive to town.  Those were the good old days!  I just did not know they were the good old days. 
These days the kids load up with their big sister and take off.  They pull out laughing at me.  I stand in the carport with my dogs waving goodbye like a fool.  Somedays I cry because they are so big and no longer need me.  Somedays I smile and go back to bed or sit in silence with another cup of coffee. 
Back to the book…The cool thing about Jesus Calling is that it is written in first person. 
July 15th says “Do not worry about tomorrow!  This is not a suggestion but a command.  I divided time into days and nights so that you would have manageable portions of life to handle.  My grace is sufficient for you, but its sufficiency is for only one day at a time.” 
I journaled beside it in hot pink:  My life!  The only way! 
I truly believe with the demands of constant multitasking and non-stop mothering that “One day at a time” is the only way I survive and enjoy this season of my life. 
When we live one day at a time and learn to trust God with the day we are presently living in, amazing things happen.  I will never forget the first time several summers ago that we had three places to go at the same time on the same night.  (This happens more often now with four kids close in age.)  I mentioned to my parents that we would need help and had team parents in mind, but I did not panic.   By mid-afternoon, the one softball game in Teague was canceled due to a field conflict.  That left us with only two games in Fairfield.  God always takes care of us.  Nothing is too big for Him, and especially when we walk with Him day by day, minute by minute. 
If you have never experienced the facet of God’s character that is omniscient and omnipresent, you are missing out.  How do I know that the God of the Universe cares about me personally, can tend to me, and others around the globe at the same exact time? 
I know because He changes schedules just for me, gives me grace when I need it, and personally meets with me anytime that I call upon His name.

Jesus told Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for you.”    This week begin each morning  claiming that truth.  Do not worry about the future.  Enjoy today. God’s grace is sufficient!

No comments:

Post a Comment