Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Thursday, August 3, 2017

The beds

Last Friday, when our baseball and softball games were cancelled, I got a “bee in my bonnet” so to speak.  I picked up my crew at school and headed home to accomplish something I had put off forever…I mean forever!  The top item on my agenda was to flip two of our mattresses.  Mattress maintenance needs a sticker like oil changes have or phone call reminders like six month dental check-ups offer out of courtesy to remind us when it is time. 
Flipping the mattress is as important as both, but often avoided around here at the Monico household.  Maybe it is just us….
My hubby and I are in need of a new mattress, but have put off shopping for one.  There are so many choices, options, and other things to spend money on.   It also seems overwhelming; therefore, our mattress needed a flip.  It was not the only one.  Blaise, the youngest of my kiddos, often likes for me to lay down with her.  I have noticed for a few weeks that I have been sliding over her way when we cuddle  to talk.  She was in need of a flip job too. 
Friday we got the job done. It only took Bosque and me.  We manhandled the mattresses like professionals and had them flipped and ready to go in no time. The result:  better rest!  My bed is totally different.  I have slept so well the past few days.  Blaise’s bed is the same.  It feels like a new mattress. 
My only lingering thought is…why did we wait so long?  The mattresses could have been flipped earlier and I would have not lost sleep over aching joints and hips from a flatter than recommended bed. 
The mattresses were important, but not a truly urgent matter.  However, there are things in life that are urgent.  Today in church I was reminded that being a light for Jesus has to happen now. It is not something that we can put off or wait until another day for.  The often dark and hopeless world we live in needs to see the light NOW.  Matthew 5:16 says “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”  We need to let our light shine and we really can’t linger on dim mode any longer!
The other thing that cannot be delayed is a truth from John 10:27, and it is personal.  It says “My sheep listen to my voice, I know them, and they follow me.”  It is imperative that we as believers, who listen to the voice of the Lord, obey the voice of the Lord.  We cannot hear his voice, listen to it, and then choose to not follow Him. 
Sheep are dumb. We have three right now for the county fair.  We guard them closely because they are so simple minded.  Jesus must use sheep as an example because surely we are smarter than they are!  This all boils down to obedience and the act of us hearing and doing what the LORD tells us to do.  Anything less than total obedience really cannot be put off.

This week, it is okay to procrastinate and wait on what you can. The inspection sticker might can delay until the end of the month or the grocery shopping might can go another day, but there are things that need to happen now!  Being a light so that others can see they love of Jesus is one of them.  Listening and obeying the Word of God is another.  Do not wait…Act now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment