Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Random in the routine

When I was a kid, and especially a young teen, one of our favorite ways to "cut-up" in town was to perform a Chinese Fire drill.  We used to pile out of Linda Emmon's van or anyone else that would tote us around town, make a circle around our parked vehicle as fast as we could and then jump back in.  It was great fun and always made us laugh!  I don't even know if really "this" was a proper Chinese Fire drill, but we called it one and we so enjoyed it!

I have been telling my kids that they should try a Chinese Fire drill in the morning after we drop of Banner at the Jr. High just for fun.  Banner is way too on task and wants to be at school too early, so she would not want to be an active participant in our morning silliness. 

Today Brazos and Blaise took me up on the offer.  Bosque would have, but his shoes were not on yet as usual!  We were on a little side street over by the high school.  I stopped, threw the car in park, and they jumped out.  They made their lap around the car in about six seconds and jumped back in.  We giggled and were off again on our way to school. 

Watching them have some random fun was fun to me!  Yes, it does not take much to excite me.  I am labeling this type of activity "RANDOM in the ROUTINE."  I think we all need more of it! Our backpacks are always laid out in the floor, shoes in the right baskets, and lunches are typically made on time; therefore, I have taught my kids how to live an organized and routine life.  Maybe now we need to add in some random. 

My morning made me think of my favorite verse in Psalms 16:11 "You will fill me with joy in your presence."  Ask the Lord to fill you with JOY!  Hang out with Him, read your Bible, spend some time in prayer, open your eyes to your many blessings, and prepare to giggle, laugh, and have some fun.  He is the author of JOY.   JOY is all over us when we follow JESUS and live in His presence.  JOY is contagious.  I want more of it.  What about you?

Today I found JOY while watching my kiddos in a total random activity.  We put some random in the routine and this busy Mom needed it.  Thank you, Lord!

1 comment: