Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, February 8, 2013

You're not worried, are you?

I just picked up an old book and climbed into my husband's recliner with my coffee. Thankful I am actually up today early with some time to read. My house is quiet, except for the clothes clashing and turning in the dryer and the 2 dogs who are currently playfully feuding over one chew stick. Hey, this is quiet for this place! Even an occasional growl is quietness to me.

I carried this book with me my last trip to Baylor and wrote a few notes in the inside flap. It says this:
man on walker
Wife in wheelchair
Nurse pushes her
He says to her "You're not worried, are you?"
I smile at them as they go by. No words, really not much eye contact, just a smile. I could almost see the years of love, probably children they had raised, days they had spent together in the garden, at the kitchen table, and on their back porch together. Now they were together, not hand in hand, but still walking down the hallway together with help.

His words hit me that day. They were so sweet. It was not the usual conversation that we hear about lunch plans, a meetings results, kids and sports, a shopping list, or even what doctor they were going to see.

His words seemed to be spoken to reassure her, check on her, but also because I think he wanted her to reassure him that everything was going to be ok, that she was going to be ok. That he was going to be ok. They were a team!

The couple offered each other so much comfort as they walked, as they were pushed. In this world, we better comfort someone! Days are wasted of we do not! We better be a part of our team. John 14:16 says too "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you forever."

I don't know what you need today. I don't even know what I am going to need when I get up from this chair. I do know that when Jesus spoke these words in John, He meant that He was going away, but really He would never leave us because the Holy Spirit was going to remain with us, comfort us, guide us, and help us! Thank you, Lord for that member of your team that lives in me.

So, I ask... You are not worried, are you? If so, there is only one place to turn for real comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment