Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, February 1, 2013

The new dog

We were blessed with a free gift last week! It is a puppy. His name is Bonner and he is 100% Jack Russell according to my recent research into the breed. Last night was my first full night of rest since his arrival. I feel like I have been thrust back into the days of an infant in the house again. We started the crate training last night. I had earplugs on hand, but I am proud to say that he did very well! My bed was nice and calm again. I've never been one to let my kids sleep with us so I was going to die trying to not allow a dog in the bed!

I got so tickled a few mornings ago after I carried him out at 5 to take care of his business. I refuse to get up and stay up at that time with my hubby so I jumped back in bed and left Bonner boy down to play. Branden, the resident early bird, was already in the shower. My peace and quiet was interrupted after about 5 minutes because Bonner evidently thought he would snooze some more too. He stood on my side of the bed and started the pitiful whining, jumping, please pick me up thing. I am a teacher and mother of four, so I practiced ignoring the negative behavior thing, but it wasn't working. He was determined. I was just plain exhausted!

You are thinking here... That wimpy Betsy, she gave in and picked the puppy Up! Wrong! Try again.

Branden stepped out of the shower and heard the bind I was in. He opened the bathroom door and simply said "puppy" and Bonner instantly forgot all about me and took off into the bathroom with his buddy to play.

I rolled back over, fixed my pillow just right, and was out! When I woke up, I couldn't help but replay the early morning events in my head and think... That Bonner boy and I have a lot in common and I don't think I'm the only one who "FLITS" around quickly.

Human nature and especially in this era of fast wifi, drive through windows, and microwave popcorn makes it so easy for us to change our minds really rapidly! That is not always a good thing. At times, we need to focus, stay on task, and refuse to leave or give up until the job is finished. Much like Bonner boy, we think we know what we really want until something else catches our eye. We change too much and too often.

The Lord helps me focus and often slows me down. Jesus lived to set an example for us. We should aim to imitate Him. He is constant. He is forever. I love the verse in Hebrews 13:8 that says "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."

In a world where life changes and we change out minds so often, that is such a comforting truth. My plans, moods, circumstances may change, but my Jesus will not!

No comments:

Post a Comment