Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, November 11, 2013

column #4


Several years ago I found myself on a massive yacht in the middle of Lake Texoma with friends.  Our group was up on deck admiring the view, but I ended up in the living quarters down below with the two young children whose father owned the boat. I spent my time aboard the luxury liner with the kids playing games.  I was teaching 7th grade in Mesquite then and realized that my purpose in life (yes…we all have one) had something to do with children.  I still am a teacher everywhere I go; however, this week several of the kids in my life taught me.

 

Lesson #1:  I introduced a group of fifth graders to the concept of being proactive or reactive in life.  One fifth grader said “Mrs. Monico, I am not very good at this game because of my brother.”  It seems that she was trying so hard to be proactive and calm, but her little brother got the best of her.  She restated what our previous lesson had covered and admitted she was more like a coke bottle exploding than a cool, calm bottle of water. 

 

To be honest, none of us are very good at “THIS” game she mentioned.  We often fail and react.  Our only hope for proactivity and peacefulness in situations that drive us crazy is the truth found in John 16:33 that says “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world” 

 

Lesson #2:  Another day this week my son, Brazos, said something that was worth me immediately writing down.  He glanced up from his trombone and paused from the extended, and I mean extended, practice session and said “Only one kid can play this and I want to be that kid, Mom.” 

 

How great is that?  He wanted to be the one who could do it.  He was willing to work and make it happen.  He played the song over again and again until he got it.  I was inspired. 

 

Lesson #3:  The setting of my last lesson was in front of our refrigerator late one night.  I have attempted to use up food from our pantry and freezer instead of just running out to buy more.  I must have done a decent job because by Tuesday night, it was bare in the fridge.  My daughter started looking for something to put in her lunch.  She opened the fridge and looked, and looked, and looked.  She then motioned me over and said “What do we have in here other than water and BBQ sauce, you just tell me…what?” 

 

After I stopped laughing because her facial expression was that of a typical teen and her wit was as clever as ever, I looked in the fridge and discovered she was pretty correct in her observation.  I put on my thinking cap and offered her a few suggestions.  Our search lead me to the bottom of the pantry and to the back corner of the fridge.  I discovered several consumable items that would work.  She would not starve. The world would keep spinning. I saved the day, and she in a way saved my night because she made me laugh and think about my role in life. 

 

My role right then with her was to make something out of nothing.  We often have to do that in life.  Creativity and a good attitude can make something out of nothing on any given day.  Come to think of it, when God made us, He made something out of nothing for sure. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment