Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, November 11, 2013

This is my story - newspaper column #1


I remember sitting in a pew at Caney Baptist listening to my Grandfather sing “Blessed Assurance.”  That was the title of the hymn, but all I heard was “This is my story, this is my song.  Praising my Savior all the day long.”  As a small child, the fact that we all have a story did not mean anything to me.  A story was a good book or a lie, like when I took a pack of gum from Winn’s Department store and insisted I did not.  Now, that was a story!

 

At the wonderful age of forty, I pride myself on knowing that a story is much more than just a bedtime narrative or a teensy, tiny fib. A story is a person’s life.  It is the hard fought battles and the sweet victories.  A story comes from the days spent high on the mountaintop and the days spent in the deepest, darkest valleys begging for a way out.  However, the bulk of a person’s story is being written on regular days when life seems to be nothing more than a routine from the time we hit the alarm clock until the time our head hits the pillow at night. The routine may include diapers and bottles, sack lunches and report cards, or days at the office or nursing home. 

 

 

I get the privilege, although sometimes the tension in my neck would call it a different name, to witness eight stories unfolding right here under my own roof.  There are six people in my family, but I included the dogs just for fun. I would not dare write about my husband or children yet, so let me start with our puppy, Bubs. He is a Jack Russell and fits the description for his breed.  He is athletic, curious, determined, lovable, and loyal.  His life story can also include that he is an active member of the toilet paper roll destruction team and an avid rabbit hunter.  Last night when I had all of the Monicos in bed, I carried Bubs out. He disappeared into the woods so quickly that he looked like a white flash running across the pasture.  My handy spotlight shed some light on the situation when I saw the bunny he was trailing after.  If Bubs could type and relay his story to you, he would tell you that the chase was fun, a real high, he just couldn’t resist and that it wore him out!

 

My story can be like that too at times when I chase after things that I don’t need, doubt that the Lord has a specific purpose for my life, compare my life to others, or allow my self to be too busy.  Busy means I can’t focus on the things right here that I love the most.  I hold on tight to a scripture from John 15:5 because my story is far from perfect, but I want it to amount to something. Jesus spoke to his disciples and said “I am the vine: you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do nothing.” 

 

Do you want your story to be a whole bunch of nothing? I doubt it.  The key is to remain in Jesus and know that no matter what your present circumstances look like, He will remain with you.  With that simple truth in mind, what will your story read at the end of this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment