Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, November 11, 2013

column #7


I mentioned this week in a Bible Study that I “see” the hand of the Lord perched neatly over my head at all times and that thought keeps me calm. I went to add that nothing can come through to me or into my life that has not been sifted through His fingers.  Boy, have I been tested, but I still believe this to be true.  When I am tested, I pray and I ask others to pray.

 

One of my children chooses to pray out loud every night and I get the pleasure of joining him.  His prayers are simple.  His sweet conversations with his Father remind me why we do pray.  He is 9 and I am 40.  That tells you I sure don’t think I have this thing called life figured out! 

 

Bosque is the praying one.  I have to literally fold up my body to sit beside him and fit into his bottom bunk.  When I am there in my position and ready, he flips over on his belly, closes his eyes, clasps his hands, and begins. Brazos, his older brother, gets all of the heavenly blessings and benefits too because he is on the top bunk and heeds every word spoken.  I am going to quote Bosque on his prayers last night as closely as I can. 

 

“Dear Lord, thank you for the wonderful, wonderful day.  Please help the Eagles to not get hurt tomorrow.  Please give my teachers energy to teach and I pray for my classmates. (I guess he knows teachers get tired because I sure do.)   Help us all to have sweet, sweet dreams.  I pray for Mom tonight with the puppy.  (Our puppy sometimes goes on a rampage at night.)  Thank your for getting Banner and Dad home safely from her game.  Thank you that the blue paint came out of my hair. (We painted some furniture and he had a mishap.)  Thank you for Brazos and his crazy stories.  Help us all to get up early in the morning and to be on time.  Amen.”

 

Pretty good, huh?  It is like he just dumps everything out that he is thinking.  A theologian might say he has acquired a good ratio of praise and petitions. What he does after he says his prays is the real kicker!

 

He rolls over and goes to bed.  Imagine that?  He does not analyze or hold onto anything from the present day to carry it into the next day for more thought and worry.  He prays. He sleeps.  I know that he is just a kid with kid issues, but I still think there is a lesson here of childlike faith and trust. 

 

As adults, we sometimes pray and then call to ask a friend what they think just to make sure we are on the right track.  We research our “issues” on the latest website to find our peace. How often do we toss our concerns or frustrations out into the vast world of social media to see how many likes we can get to justify our feelings? 

 

We have got to learn to have a simple conversation with the Lord about how things are going, to thank Him for what went well, ask Him for help where we need it, and know that He is in control. 

 

 David wrote in Psalm 63:6-7 “On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.  Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.”  Sounds like a pretty good place to be, and I know how to get there.  It begins with a simple conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment