Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, November 11, 2013

column #5


Freestone County is full of big news this week.  The Eagles are on a roll, and the rodeo is in town.  We survived the first six weeks of school and hold your applause for this one.  The burn ban has been lifted!  Thank the Lord… it finally rained.  The last several weeks have put our rain gauges back in business, and we are happy, happy, happy. 

 

I had a run in with the rain when I got out of my car at Sam’s Restaurant a few Fridays ago. I headed in, head down, on a mission to meet my friend for coffee at our favorite hangout.  I cut in front of my car choosing the shortest path because as usual, I was without an umbrella.  I nearly walked right into or actually right under a major downpour.  My shortcut to get me in the building led me under a collection point where the roof lines met and the rain gushed down like a raging river. 

 

It reminded me of walking under the big bucket at Great Wolf Lodge.  If you have seen it or seen the commercials, you know what I am talking about.  It dumps ten thousand gallons of water on willing participants who stand under it. A bell starts ringing when it is nearly full and everyone who wants to get drenched huddles up shivering in anticipation of the extreme wetness that is about to come their way. 

 

I was nearly right there under the “bucket” myself at Sam’s; however, I put my heels in reverse and trucked it back around my car to go a different route.  I kind of giggled at myself because I paid attention for once and saved myself a trip to the hand dryer in the bathroom at the least.  As usual too, my run in with the unexpected downpour made me think because so often in life I am not aware of my surroundings and I run into trouble that could be prevented.

 

The path I took was important on this particular morning.  The path we take in life is important too.  We need to look right, look left, and follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit if the Holy Spirit lives in us. To stay on the right pathway, we must also admit that we have certain weaknesses and that there are things, places, and people that should be avoided all together. We have to always consider how our present decisions will affect our future because one step in the wrong direction can always be corrected and there is forgiveness, but there are consequences.  If one step leads to another and we totally drift off of the right path, it takes a great deal of work to get back on track. 

 

How do we know when we need to choose another path, proceed with caution, or sprint in another direction?  Proverbs 3:5-6 sums it up for me.  It says “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”

 

A series of questions and thoughts comes to me after I read this verse.  It makes me think!  If we don’t trust in the LORD, what or who else can we trust in?  What do we really know for sure in our own understanding?  If I admit it, I am clueless. 

 

How can I acknowledge the Lord in all I do?  Will I follow His straight path daily for my life or choose to go my own way and end up lost?

Lost is not fun and there is a choice, so thank the Lord for the rain this week and thank Him that He gives you a straight path to follow. 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment