Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, November 11, 2013

column #8


I spend quite a bit of time on the road and crack up at some of the radio ads that I hear.  They are creatively designed to draw us in while we drive just like television ads draw in kids at Christmas and totally make them go berserk.  “Ovation Cell Therapy” for hair comes to mind because it promises life changing results and a better quality of life all together.  “Ideal Image” laser hair removal promises to give you the time you need for other things in life because you will not have to ever remove any unwanted hair again.  Their phone number even includes the letters BE IDEAL. 

 

I sometimes say out loud as I drive…”Really?”  A new and better YOU will not come in a bottle or with a few hours in a chair getting whiter, brighter, and better.  There is only one way to a better life.  It is a closer walk with the Jesus Christ.  While you are on that walk, there are several practical things you can do and habits you can develop that will add some serious pep to your step, no matter your age and no matter what conditions you currently live in. 

 

I believe the act of giving thanks is the real ticket to a better life and a daily practice that we all need to adopt.  Counting your blessings, saying thanks, or giving gratitude all have one thing in common.  All three involve a verb and require action, not just a warm and fuzzy feeling. 

 

Being more thankful in life will not just happen.  It will take practice and being intentional to make your mind focus on the many blessings that are right in front of you.  Some of my greatest blessings were when I was bald and sick from chemotherapy.  When I was at my weakest point, I had to be thankful for the little things or I would have gone to bed and not gotten back up.  

 

Soon a trend will start on various social media sites where everyone lists what they are thankful for.  Yes, I will join in.  Turkey feathers and leaves will go up in classrooms across America listing what kids are thankful for.  All of this is wonderful and seems to usher in the holidays, but I beg you to practice it more and force your mind to go to gratitude.  The act of giving thanks must be a life habit just like tying your shoes and brushing your teeth.  Every breath you take on this earth is a blessing and a chance to notice what is going right around you and to give thanks. 

 

 

When the wind hits your face and refreshes you or the dinner smells just right, give thanks.  (This can be verbal or just in your head as a silent act of thanks.)  It is a kiss on the cheek, a little hand that you can hold, finding the right size screw, having just enough syrup for your waffles, or a sweet conversation with a friend you have been missing. 

 

Try keeping a journal and whether your family is one or fifteen, list blessings and things you are thankful for.  We keep ours on the table.   Life is not about the big things, but the little things that bless us every day.  We number ours and also write our name beside what we write just for fun.

 

There is a verse that tells me the practice of thanksgiving is important.  Psalm 92 says “It is good to give thanks to the LORD and to sing praises to your name, O Most High; To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning and Your faithfulness by night.”  You can change your life and have more joy.  It starts with this!  Give thanks.  Don’t wait on the turkey.  Start today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment