Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Monday, November 11, 2013

column #6


I found myself this week caught off guard in an awkward situation.  I carried my crew to the Fields of Faith, a community wide youth service, at the high school stadium.  My oldest daughter was standing up front with her friends.  I had the other three surrounding me as usual.  When the praise and worship music began, I got my “rocking” motion going.  I don’t mean “rocking” like rock and roll. I mean that anytime I sing in church or anywhere else for that matter, I sway back and forth, side to side to the beat.  The habit started years ago because I always had a baby on my hip to keep quiet.

 

We were swaying together Wednesday night when my three kiddos asked to go to the restroom.  I said yes, knowing their restroom request was warranted because we dashed out of the house like mad men late and peeled into the high school parking lot leaving a trail of dust that would make the Dukes of Hazard proud. 

 

My kids left me there in the middle of that massive field all alone.  Surprisingly, I felt lonely and like something was missing.   I was swaying and did not have anyone around me to sway with.  I cannot recall what we were singing, but I do remember that it was like the Lord was saying…even in a crowd, and even with this music, you can and need to be alone with just ME. 

 

It reminded me of something I already know to be true because it is my greatest source of JOY and honestly, the only way I make it.  We all have to be alone with the Lord to clear the noise and clutter that so often inhibits our lives.  Our minds are bombarded with ring tones, to-do lists, bank balances, plans, test reviews, due dates, chores to be completed, music we listen to, and even conversations we have had.  Really, how can we expect to survive if we do not turn it all off and get alone with our Creator? 

 

Back in the day, research was done from an encyclopedia and people had to take turns on the party line when they needed to make a call.  Oh, I loved going to a friend’s house that had a party line.  We always got in trouble because we would listen in. It was like a live soap opera. (Lord, forgive me.)  Now, waiting on the party line to clear does not even remotely exist.  We are plugged in to instant communication 24-7. 

 

I love the verse that says “Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed” in Luke 5:16.  Come on now, if Jesus had to withdraw to lonely places to pray, how much do we need to withdraw and be alone?  Maybe your quiet seat is on a mower or tractor, in a lawn chair, a deer stand, or at a desk.  Perhaps you can get alone with the Lord on your porch or in your car.  A walk, an hour fishing, a bike ride, or hike will do too.  Many a mother has confessed that to be totally alone with the Lord, she had to lock herself in the bathroom or sneak in the closet to hide behind the clothes and shoes and pray. 

 

This week just turn off the world for a few minutes and hang out with the Lord.  It may feel awkward at first and strangely too quiet, but hang in there.  Time and location do not matter.  Whatever works for you, works for the Lord.  He will meet you anywhere.  It will clear your mind and revive your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment