Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, October 2, 2015

chicken coop at dark


Luckily I remembered tonight before we shut it down totally to go and close the door on the chicken coop.  My boys brought in the eggs earlier and opened it up so that the chickens could have some fresh air. I always feel sorry for them if they are stuck inside too long.  I also felt sorry for them when our Jack Russell massacred part of their family.  (That is another story and a subject here that I do not need to bring back up….ever!) 

I nominated myself because my girls were all settled sitting clean and pretty on the couch.  My boys were in the shower.  My husband was already asleep. I grabbed the high powered flashlight and headed on my way thinking positive thoughts.  I sometimes freak myself out in the dark!  It is really dark here too.  I mean really dark!

I kept my flashlight pointing down right in front of me.  I literally shined it only right where I was going to step next.  The problem with that is I had no idea what could be lurking out in the distance or in the nearby woods.  I just tuned out that thought though. 

I focused only on my next step because we have a collection of snakes residing here, including timber rattlesnakes.  I have never want my next step to be onto one of them. (I have chill bumps on my arms just thinking about it.) 

Tonight my short walk got exciting when our lab barked.  She was out in the dark somewhere must have spotted something.  When she barked, I jumped.  I mean jumped!  After I jumped, landed, and caught my breath, the thought occurred to me I might should shine my light out in the distance to see what she was barking at. 

However, I needed the light for my next step.  That next step meant I was one step closer to home!   I ignored what could have been lurking and obviously moving around in the pasture and reached the coop.  About the time I latched the door and made my speedy 180 degree turn to point me in the direction of home, it dawned on me that my flashlight strategy was actually like my life strategy. 

I conquered the trip in the dark one step at a time. I try to live my life one day at a time. 

You see, I try not to worry myself with what could, would, or even should be ahead.  I know if I do get too far into the future, I rob myself of any and all joy that might have been meant for today.    I heard a pastor say years ago, God is not “I was.  I will be.  God is I AM.”

We should mirror that.  We should live for today.  How is this even humanly possible?  It is possible because the Word of God teaches it.  It is possible because if we believe and read the Word out loud, we can transform our minds and live it! 

Matthew 6:25-34 is worth your time today.  It closes with a firm word from Jesus.  He says “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.”  (Can I get an AMEN on that?)

Start living today one step at a time, one day at a time, and with some trust.  Trust Jesus.  He knows way more than you do anyway!  He’s got you…today and tomorrow!   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment