Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, October 2, 2015

It's more than...Papa Bachtel


Yesterday I stored an idea away in my head to write about this week.  After a trip to Olive Garden last night with six crazy kids and an amazing day at church watching special baptisms, I forgot it!  My mind was going so many wonderful directions that my bright idea was temporarily pushed to the back of my brain. 

It came back today at the softball fields when a coach encouraged my youngest kiddo.  He mentioned being intentional with his words and wanting to make a difference with every kid who crossed his path.  His goal to be more deliberate was because of “Papa” Bachtel.  Immediately I had my topic back.  I jotted it down on the notepad I was holding. I wrote “More than just football.”

“More than just football” relates to Papa Bachtel and the life he lived on and off of the field.  He was a man who lived his life around Friday night lights, but he seemed to know that it was more than just football. 

He is now walking in the bright lights of heaven and on golden streets.  I would say that he is strolling on streets of gold, but football coaches don’t really stroll.  They walk.  They pace.  They cover a lot of ground and sometimes even run up and down the sidelines during a game.  During these moments that might seem like seconds just passing off of a scoreboard, some of them make a difference that is never forgotten. 

Anyone can coach.  Anyone can teach.  The ones who make a difference are the ones who know that it is more than a game, more than a classroom, and more than just another kid walking through the door.  This thought is not just for those in education.

What if we all lived with the thought “It is more than….” Fill in the dot, dot, dot with whatever is on your plate currently in life.

It is more than the lesson you plan to teach or the tire you may change.  It is more than a study group you lead.  It is more than the position you hold at work.  It is more than the dishes you wash and diapers you change.  It is more than the casserole going in the oven. It is more than the next customer coming through your check- out line.  Life is more than…(finish the sentence.)

When you have a relationship with Jesus and desire to point others in His direction, life is more than what is simply in front of you.  With Jesus, every task, every day, everything matters.  The most common things turn out to be opportunities to love, encourage, and to share the love of Christ. 

No matter what you are doing this week, remember 1 John 4:19 “We love because he first loved us.”  Life is more than… 

It is about sharing the love of Jesus Christ and making a difference.  Start today!

No comments:

Post a Comment