Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, October 2, 2015

The power of a hug


Some things in life can just not be explained.  I thought that this week when I stood back and watched my friend trying to explain to her husband where she was going, who was going with her, what his role was for the night.  We had already flipped flopped kids once to taxi them where they needed to go. Now, she was taking one of mine to school with her. I was staying at her house for thirty minutes with the rest of them until later.  She attempted to explain our divide and conquer approach to him when he pulled up on the mower.  He just looked at her like…WHAT?  Our carefully thought out strategy could not be explained. 

However, just the next day, I saw something that could totally and easily be explained.  It was crystal clear!  At the pep rally Friday morning at Fairfield High School, I noticed what was going on at the door of the gym where the football boys entered.  It was different than at the Jr. High.  There the team enters in their jerseys and jeans so fast that if your thumb is not already on your video button, you are out of luck.  A snapshot is not even a possibility. 

The high school pep rally was different.  The boys did not run out.  They came out one by one like they were marching down an isle at a wedding until they got past the door.     

I realized that one of the teachers at the high school was at the door hugging every guy right before they walked out onto the gym floor.  She is not just a teacher. She is a coach’s wife too.  She is also the mother of two grown boys, a wonderful 7th grade daughter, and the mother of Johnny.  Johnny now lives in heaven. Last year, he tragically took his own life. 

With her permission, I asked her if I could write about the line that gladly forms in the athletic hallway on Friday mornings.  Mrs. Childers told me that she hugs kids all day long.  She also looks them in the eye and tells them she loves them. 

When I saw her reaching up to most of the boys with a smile, all I could think was…I know why she does that.  She knows the value of a hug.  I mean, she KNOWS the value of a hug.  I felt like I could see her heart and feel it beating, even though I have no idea what she has been through. 

I was touched.  I cried. I could only hear a great silence in the midst of cheering and great noise.  I stood there and was just in awe of the power of the hug.  Unlike so many things in life that cannot be explained, this could. 

What “Momma Chill” knows can be explained.  It is no mystery!  There is no question about it. She hugs and she loves because she knows how much a hug matters and she knows love.    

The Childers family got the Jason Flatt Act passed in our state in honor of their son, Jonathan Childers.  It assists educators in detecting youth in trouble.  They have made a difference.
I pray now as I type that the Lord blesses them and continues to wrap them up with the mighty love of Jesus.  I pray that this week as you read this, you consider the power of a hug.  I pray you love, forgive if necessary, and hug like there is no tomorrow.  Do not hold back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment