Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, October 2, 2015

Frogs and the LIGHT!


My new schedule at work has thankfully given me some full days at home alone.  I honestly need it to survive.  This past Tuesday was my work day here.  I cleaned up the basic dirt, grit, and grime.   As usual, I saw signs of my children all around even though they were at school. 

I love the to-do lists I find in my oldest daughter’s room.  Her younger sister does not have any to-do lists, but sure does have a pile of shoes in every corner of her room, and they make me smile. 

My boys just crack me up.  Their shared areas, consisting of a small bedroom and bathroom, can be found in two totally different states.  On any given day, they can be living in total order, all nice and neat, or in total chaos.  I mean chaos like you need to wear protective gear when you walk into their room. 

This week, I was impressed by their tidiness.  I was surprised in their bathroom because I found something rather unusual.  Hanging in their bathroom window was a light perched up on a thumbtack. 

It was not an indoor, should be in the house, type of light.  It sure was not a reading light or a decorative lamp that I might add to create some ambiance.  You see, it was the kind of light you might see clamped on a hood hanging over the motor of a car in a greasy garage.  It was rigged up to shine down on the window with an extension cord or two giving it power. 

At first glance, I wondered what on earth was going on.  I do that often with my crew.  After only a few seconds, it dawned on me that there was a definite purpose to this light. 

I had heard mention of it the night before.  It was to help the tree frogs. 

When we first moved into our house over ten years ago, we were blessed with so many tree frogs.                        They were our entertainment.  The kids would tootle around from window to window at night to watch them.  For some unknown reason, they have been few and far between until this year.  We are so happy…the frogs are back!

Well, the boys were helping them.  They strung up the junky light to add some extra light in their bathroom.  They knew if they could attract more bugs that the frogs would have a better nighttime feast.  Although I questioned their set up for safety reasons and found the light not appealing at all, I was so proud of them.  I thought it was a sign of kindness that they were helping their frog family out.

I paused in their bathroom, avoiding cleaning the toilet just a bit longer, and thought that their light sure did relate to life, since we can be a “light” too.  We all have the ability to attract people, not bugs I hope. 

God could set His plan on earth into motion all by Himself, but He does not work that way.  He lets us, those who have trusted Jesus as Savior, help HIM!  Therefore, He needs us to be a light, or you could say a magnet, attracting others to Him.   We sure can’t claim to be Christians, and have no light at all.  That turns people off from the Lord. 

Matthew 5:16 says “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”  Start your day by singing the old children’s song “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine” and shine all day for the Glory of God.  Other will notice.  They will want what you have.  Be a light this week in a world that sure does sometimes seem dark.  Your light matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment