Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, October 2, 2015

sick kid...


I had my plan of action ready for my column this week.  You were going on a journey with me through the state of Louisiana in the pouring rain.  True story!  I was the behind the wheel recently and wore myself slap out because I had to be so alert in the storm. 

At one point, I even turned on my hazard lights to warn other drivers that I was cruising slowly and with extreme caution.  (I nervously expected to see a gator cross the road at any time.  I have watched too much Swamp People.)  Two other cars around me turned on their “flashers” too.  I thought it was pretty cool that I had started a safety trend…especially since I have had several speeding tickets and fender benders in my life. 

My idea was to cover that specific part of my road trip and how we have to live cautiously and encourage others to do the same; however, plan B came at 3:00 a.m. when I was woken up with “Mom, I am sick.”  I hurdled over my familiar surroundings at my in-laws in Dallas and bolted to meet my oldest daughter in the bathroom. 

It was either a short lived stomach bug or meatloaf after a week of clean eating that got her.  The funny, or really not that funny at all, thing was that I had not slept good since I laid down at midnight.  I was finally resting when she called out to me; however, I was up, ready, and willing to help her in a split second! 

I grabbed a trashcan, headband, and other necessary supplies and followed her to the living room couch.  I fetched her a Sprite, bottle of water, and settled into my chair in case she needed me again. 

She did not!  Thank the LORD.  My only option for better sleep was to leave the chair that continuously folded up on me and head to the couch in the adjoining room.  I was still close enough to her and could hear her if she needed me again.  I felt like Charlie Brown dragging around my blanket and pillow from room to room at this point. 

It all began when she came to me and asked me for help.  If she had laid in her own room miserable and alone, I would have never known.  However, she was in need and wise to ask for help.  She came to me and knew she could count on me!  Although she is very independent and mature, sick means mom.  There is just no other remedy!

The lesson here is in:  can I follow that pattern as a Child of God?  Does sick mean Jesus?  When I am ill mentally, physically, emotionally, or spiritually, do I go to Jesus and ask for help?  Or do I try another remedy or just lay in my own misery all alone and refuse to ask for help at all? 

This week is the beginning of a new school year in my home.  Let it be a new beginning too for you, school or no school.  Go to Jesus for help.  Call out to Him.  Whether you are a mom in need and sending off a kid for the first time to kindergarten or college, a teacher or student beginning a new year, or whatever it may be, call out to Jesus!    Isaiah 55:6 tells us to “Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near. 

He is near today, call upon Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment