Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Friday, October 2, 2015

missing dog


My husband called me yesterday morning and said we had a problem. Our Jack Russell had been gone from the house for a few hours.  He typically goes on voyages around the house into the woods, but has somewhat been trained to come back home and check in.  There had been no check-in.  (This reminds me of myself years ago at the county fair.  Let’s just say I too avoided check-ins!) 

I got home from my morning errands and did what any woman with a big heart would do.  I put on the tallest tube socks I could find, my boots, got a big stick for protection, and took off into the woods.  I was going to find him. 

My fear was that he had a run-in with a snake.  Only two weeks ago, I nursed him back to health from a horrible bite.  He was sick for three days.  I just knew that might have happened again and that the heat would be a factor. 

I made my way through the back trails.  I reminded myself often to shuffle my feet because every time that I picked them up and tried to walk in a normal fashion, I tripped on the thorns that were naturally draped across the path. 

Now, I was not just walking.  I was walking, calling “Bubs” over and over again and looking.  This was not looking like casually window shopping, but looking intently like on a rescue mission.  I was looking for clues too, although I do not know what they would have been really.

After round one through the trails on foot, I rehydrated and got on the 4-wheeler to cover more ground.  I shut off the engine every few minutes and called out for my possibly injured patient.  I really starting thinking as the sweat poured off of my head and my arms baked in the sun that this was crazy! I left a house with air conditioning, my family, and my plans for the day to come out into the heat and search for one member of the family…and a dog at that!

The thought occurred to me during my rescue mission too that the way I was searching for my dog was the way Jesus searched for me.  He called my name over and over and over again!  He looked for me. He followed me.  He never stopped, gave up, or decided that looking and waiting for me was too much trouble. 

He does the same thing for everyone!  In the Parable of the Lost Sheep in Matthew 18: 12-14, Jesus says “If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hill and go to look for the one that wandered off?  And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about the one sheep than the 99 that did not wander off.”

Jesus is into the lost, the ones who wander off, drift off, the ones who hide, and even the ones who have never been found for the first time.  If that is you this week, know He is looking for you.  He is calling your name and searching for you.  He will not stop!  His love is more than we can fathom.  It is a love so great that it is UNFAILING!  Stop hiding, running, and avoiding the love of Jesus.  He rejoices when you stop and turn to Him!

I rejoiced too when my daughter brought my dog in and threw him on me!  He was hot, panting, and worn slap out!  I have no idea where he had been. I suspect he found a girlfriend.  Nevertheless, I was glad he was home.

Likewise, the heavens rejoice when a child comes home!  Come home this week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment