Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Best for Last


I am proud to say that I was at the grocery store the day that Blue Bell returned to its precious spot in the freezer among all of the good, but not great ice creams.  There was a crowd and the official Blue Bell men were there in uniform stocking the goods back up. 

It was big time!  I purchased one gallon of vanilla.  There was a two gallon limit. I did not want to be greedy though. 

It was my half day at work so I tied the precious commodity up tight in the sack and snuck in into the freezer in the teacher’s lounge.  When my kids filed into the library one by one from the bus, I asked them if they wanted a scoop of Blue Bell.  I think our homework that day was sweeter for sure, and for one moment…I was the best mom on the planet!

I saved my own personal treat for later that night.  I quietly retrieved my stashed bag of Oreo Thins, my favorite coffee mug, and I created my own Blue Bell vanilla, cookies and cream mixture. 

It was amazing!  I ate it slowly and cherished every bite.  I guarded my cup too since the kids had already had their share.  I did not make a public announcement that I was eating my Blue Bell, because I did not want anyone barging in on my parade and asking for a taste of my treat. 

Confession time:  I have a habit of saving the best bite for last when I am eating.   I let my taste buds build up until the very last second when I am eating.  Then, I WOW them with the last little bit of whatever is my indulgence of the moment. 

I did this with my Blue Bell and then something went really wrong. I dropped my cup on our concrete floors and it shattered.  (If this was a movie, there would be sad music playing here.)  Yes, I was sad that my Starbucks Valentine’s Day mug was shattered, but really I was much more devastated that laying in the middle of the ceramic mess on the floor was my LAST AND BEST bite of ice cream and Oreo!  I contemplated on trying to pick up the one remaining, bite but knew in my heart and mind that it was a complete loss. 

My youngest daughter came in to console me.  She could tell I was upset.  She knew why too.  She said “Oh Mom, I am sorry. I know you save the best bite for last.  Was that your last bite, Mom?”  I looked up at her from my position on the floor cleaning up the mess and said “Yes, it was my last and best bite.  I will never do that again.”

I realized at that point that saving the best for last is stupid! It is dumb to save the best bite for last with food and it is dumb to hold back anything in life!   A friend lost his dad this week.  He would agree with me that in life, we should not save the best for last!  I was at the Senior pep rally today.  Senior parents would agree with me that nothing should be saved or stored up in life because kindergarten to college is quick.  When it comes to loving, laughing, forgiving, and making memories with people you live with, work with, study with, play with, nothing should be held back. 

We are not guaranteed tomorrow.  We have to make the most of today.  So, get right with those around you and enjoy every second of the time you have with them.  Get right with Jesus and enjoy your relationship with Him.  Psalms 144:4 says “Man is a mere breath; His days are like a passing shadow.” 

Do not save the best for last or for tomorrow.  Tomorrow may not come.   Your best is TODAY!   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment