Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas


Christmas is right around the corner.  So often we perfectly paint a picture of it in our heads that starts out on the canvas something like this: 

Everyone sipping hot cocoa by the fireplace with family gathered from near and far, perfectly wrapped presents under the tree, smiles, laughter, celebrations of the year that is passing and conversations of how wonderful the next year will be, family photos with everyone smiling and even the dogs facing the front with pleasant canine expressions on their faces, snow on the ground, gingerbread houses that stand strong throughout the night, and church services together with candlelight that lights up little ones faces while everyone sings “Oh, Holy Night.”   

I wish that I could type and cause a really dramatic sound effect to come through in my writing, but that is impossible, so I will just do this……………………………………

Christmas is right around the corner.  Daughter is driving.  Dad needs her car, so I have all of the kids again with me on the way to town.  We struggle getting ready for school, everyone fusses and fights.  Mom ends up crying on the way to town and lecturing everyone for the 10 minute drive, pleading for obedience and kindness.  Presents are stashed around the house in so many places that it will be a true Christmas miracle for them to appear on the 25th, some are even being stored in an old Dodge pick-up.  I hope it is locked!  The perfect Hallmark comes on, but everyone scatters to do their own thing.  Only one gingerbread house made it through the night, the Elf on the Shelf forgot to move again, and I better balance my checkbook!

Discouraged, I open Isaiah 9 and read   “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”  I know with all of my heart and soul that that I better be careful not to miss the meaning of Christmas this year.

Over 2000 years ago, Jesus was born!  Luke 2 says that Jesus was placed in a manger because there was no room for Him at the inn.  The angel said “Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.”

The story seems so perfect!  The story also seems so old and distant at times.  It happened over 2000 years ago.

The Bible and the story of the birth of Christ is more than just a meaningful story in history.  It is a meaningful story now.  It is not just a wonderful story of the past. It is a true story of the present and of the future.  I dare not live a day without Jesus! 

This Christmas, do not only marvel at the birth of Christ that happened so many years ago, imagining Him as a baby in the manger.  Celebrate what that story means for you now in 2015.  Your present circumstances have everything to do with the birth of Jesus.  Your future has everything to do with the birth of Jesus. 

The reality of it all is that your tree may be perfect, your church may be thriving this holiday season, and you may adore your gifts, but if your relationship with Jesus is not first is your life, nothing else matters. 

He was born, lived, and died for you.  That is the real gift of the season.   

No comments:

Post a Comment