Why a blog?

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and soon began journaling my walk in our local paper and continuing my dream to be a writer. You meet me in between taxing kids to and fro, baking cupcakes, feeding chickens, running up and down my dirt road, fishing, sweeping the floors, stuffing the clean laundry in bathroom cabinets, researching how to get a book published, studying my next Bible Study lesson, or perhaps sitting on my back porch in the country watching my husband's deer and my purple martins. To say I am blessed is only the beginning!















Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Too quiet


Last week I cranked up my electronic blanket.  It makes my bed the most comfortable, cozy, and warm place in the world. I live in a house full of polar bears, and I am not one.  Five of the Monicos are naturally hot natured.  Do the math…there are six of us here, and I am the only one who is cold natured! 

Their casual winter wear is shorts and t-shirts; however, I bundle up in multiple layers and sleep in toboggans nightly by mid-December.  I survive by telling myself we are saving money on our heating bill.

The first night I slept in my blanket was like heaven!  I crawled into my warm cocoon and dreamed that I would never have to come back out of it.  I did.  My youngest child woke up at 1:00 for some strange reason and was wide awake. I went to lay down with her because she is my “baby” and the only one who still wants me to cuddle.    

When I got to her bed and laid back down, I knew something was wrong!   Our electricity had gone out.  Her ceiling fan was not working.  It was so quiet and so dark.  I laid there forever and could not go back to sleep.  It was a strange noiselessness! 

My little “hoot owl” was wide awake too. We talked about how we did not need the fan to keep us  cool, but we sure did need some noise in the room. 

I tossed and turned.  I flipped and flopped for what seemed like eternity.  I thought about my life and how I am so accustomed to some type of noise at all times, even when I am sleeping.  It is not just noise either. I am sadly accustomed to continuous activity. (Am I the only one?) 

This face paced, smart phone, talking, texting, hands-free , be productive at all times world we live in keeps our minds so stimulated that when we want to try to sit and just do nothing, we struggle!  I hate to admit it, but even when I want to sit and be alone with the LORD, I struggle sometimes.  It is hard to keep my mind still and okay with just being alone in the calm of the presence of the Almighty.   It is a sad truth. 

Flipping through my beloved Jesus Calling devotional last week and wanting read a little bit more, I found a wonderful treasure on August 2nd.  (Yes, I am a random, pick any kind of day person.) 

The author, Sarah Young, wrote, “Bring me the sacrifice of your time; a most precious commodity.  In this action addicted world, few of my children take the time to sit quietly in My Presence.  But for those who do, blessings flow like streams of living water.” 

Blessings that flow like streams of living water sound really good to me.  What about you?  If you want to be blessed with your work, give the Lord your time.  If you need to be blessed at school, sit quietly in His presence.  If you desire a blessing for your family, turn off the action of the world and just be alone with your Father. 

This all reminds me of Mary and Martha from the Bible in Luke 10.  Jesus ended up telling Martha “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed – or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” 

Like Mary, choose this week to leave the hustle and bustle.  Choose to be quiet and still with the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment